Security Installer Community

2 Bells 1 panel

Guest Chewie

I have bought 2 texecom odyssey 3 bells for use with my ADE optima G3 panel.

What would be the preferred method, to get a second power supply for the second bell or set it to draw power from the bellbox battery when activated.

Depends what else you've got connected to the system. I'd use a seperate power supply for the detectors and use the panel to power the bells. Obviously you'll want to check the loadings for your devices.

Well the current drains for the bellboxes are 425mA each for the sounder and 110mA each for the strobe. The panel only supplies 1A and both bellboxes together exceed that hence my thinking of splitting them up. I have 5 PIR's and they are only 10mA each.

I presume one of the boxes is gonna be on the back of your house? If so, set that one to SCB mode and maybe consider not bothering with the strobe on that box too. I did this yesterday and the rear bell is still loud enough to scare someone off with. Plus, the alternating LEDs are a good deterrent on the rear of a property. Just make sure you keep the rear bellboxes' battery in good condition because in SCB mode it draws most of its current from the battery. An additional 1A supply is a better idea. You can pick the Elmdene ones up from here for £35.

Trade Member

That would work, but it's got an "A1" badge on it. Does'nt exactly fill me with confidence :D I've heard a few horror stories about A1 panels catching fire too. Personally I'd spend the extra tenner on the Elmdene. You get another 250mA, a metal box, an indicator light and it's probably built better.

Trade Member

Wire the odysseys exactly as it shows in the manual, set 1 to scb, no problem.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Buy a power supply with battery back up, do it properly and set them both as sab. they will be noticably louder.

41619[/snapback]

Thats what I was thinking. So should I use the second supply just for the second bellbox, and have everything else supplied by the panel.

Use the 2nd psu for the 2nd bell but still common up the negatives of the psu and the panel, Dont series up the tamper returns, wire them as stated in the odyysey manual but dont common the positives. If you series the tampers you will find that when the alarm activates there will be a bell tamper also.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived