Security Installer Community

Stopping Strobe Flashing

Guest speedyc

Guest speedyc

Hello forum. Sorry for the long post but I Googled my way here as I have a bit of a problem with my alarm. To cut a long story short [1], I've just returned from holiday to find that my, admittedly old but previously faultless, Aritech CP33 control panel is no longer communicating with the system box. I plan a DIY replacement but meanwhile have a problem with the external strobe; its constantly flashing (presumably because the system was armed prior to the failure and therefore activated when it couldn

Before offering any advice on repairing or installing, I would recommend you get another engineer to look at your system. Most engineers should be able to stop most alarms sounding and reset it, even if it means defaulting the panel.

It sounds like it may still be serviceable

If you don't know......ask.

Brian, I caught a glimpse of your van this aft...M1 northbound jn 35 1400 ish.

I would have swerved at you but I was southbound. :D

41015[/snapback]

could've been any of the fleet that :lol:

Early dart ;)

Southbound was chocca IIRC. I'll remeber to swerve at you next time I see a cartoon penguin driving a van. :lol:

If you don't know......ask.

Guest speedyc

You're undoubtedly right. I had it serviced for the first few years, but stopped when money was tight and it was costing me more than I was saving on insurance.

However neither that or the touching story of installers passing on the M1 like lovers in the night answers any of my questions :no:

Anyway I've manged to answer the first one myself. I pulled the "Int Bell -" and the strobe stopped :blue:

I'l post the answers to the others just as soon as I've figured them out :D

Meanwhile, anyone in N.E. London want to quote me for a replacement - not sure I have the inclination to DIY - and I can afford a service contract these days :)

col

However neither that or the touching story of installers passing on the M1 like lovers in the night answers any of my questions  :no: 

41025[/snapback]

Sorry for hijacking your post but it was a 'special' moment for both of us.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest speedyc

No worries.

Anyway panic over, I've just completed [1] fitting a replacement alarm [2] - from zero to guru in 24 hours. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about - all it took was common sense and patience [3]. :blue::blue: :blue::blue:

col

[1] I would have completed it last night but didn't want to wire the bell in at 8:00pm - just in case.

[2] a Melcom ST-6100 - I don't know if they're any good but Maplin's had them in stock & it seems to do everything the old one did, and more besides.

[3] mainly due to the poor quality wiring termination by the original - NACOSS approved - installer.

[2]- from zero to guru in 24 hours
so long as your happy.
[2]a Melcom ST-6100 - I don't know if they're any good but Maplin's had them in stock & it seems to do everything the old one did, and more besides.
I would keep you Guru head on, your going to need it.
[3]mainly due to the poor quality wiring termination by the original - NACOSS approved - installer.

I take it that as it was serviced every year religiously and they didn't pick on the faults ;) . or was it serviced for the first couple of years and then "oh why bother" If you didn't have your car serviced regularly every year, how long would it run before it breaks down.

You shouldn't make sweeping statements that clearly are not correct. Its good that you were able to get your alarm replaced and now working, I trust that the Guru invested in new batteries at the same time.

Guest speedyc
[2] - from zero to guru in 24 hours

so long as your happy.

Guru was tongue in cheek. I edited in a :D after it but it never appeared.

You shouldn't make sweeping statements that clearly are not correct.
I believe everything else I said was correct. The new alarm is a Melcom ST-6100.The original alarm was installed by a NACOSS certified installer (I still have the docs to prove). My assessment as to the quality of the original installation is based on the info I've read in these forums regarding best practise (which I presumed NACOSS encourage). Specifically I found;

- wires twisted together in the box and covered with insulating tape (on the panic and tamper circuits).

- cables to panic buttons and door contacts clipped to skirting (one still is, the others I've buried over time).

- no tamper circuit on panic buttons or door contacts (still isn't, I will rectify that).

- single 4 wire cable used for two purposes (front door panic button and door contact). Again I will rectify.

- control box connections to battery very loose - and that was after last Thursday's replacement by the same certified company (who have been in business for over 15 years so clearly must be doing most things right).

Does make me wonder what the certification means in practise...?

I take it that as it was serviced every year religiously and they didn't pick on the faults wink.gif . or was it serviced for the first couple of years and then "oh why bother" If you didn't have your car serviced regularly every year, how long would it run before it breaks down.

I actually stopped having it serviced as I couldn't afford it (food or alarm service, tough choice..). And before you ask, I serviced the car myself :) Fortunately (and yes I do appreciate how fortunate I am) I can afford to pay others to do it these days if I choose.

I trust that the Guru invested in new batteries at the same time.

Control box has a new battery, I will be up the ladder next weekend to replace the battery in the bell. I have also set the service notification and will check it annually (using the helpful info on this site).

Oh and if all goes terribly wrong I'll give you a call and you can nip round from Livingston in London and replace it with a proper system ;)

The original alarm was installed by a NACOSS certified installer (I still have the docs to prove).
You have had the system since new? Yes, in that case if you discovered the issues with the system, why did you not take the issues up with Nacoss, whereas i can understand that the system was playing up, when you discovered the faults why did you not speak to the installer(are they still in Business) or complain to Nacoss.
Does make me wonder what the certification means in practise...?

I would agree, but if you dont raise the issues with the installer in the first instance and then subsequently the Nacoss, then your bit of paper is worthless. Yes you are going to say that, by using a Nacoss installer you are expecting the job to be done correctly, then yes you would be right, but every Nacoss installer is only as good as the installers they employ. Practices and procedures do exist to check installations and staff, but depending on when your alarm was installed these would have changed.

With the points you have made regarding your "Sweeping Statement" then yes I would agree things are not right with the system , but as i said unless you complain to the installer or to Nacoss, you will achieve nothing.

You should also now consider that if your insurance comapny are aware of your alarm and that it was previously installed by a Nacoss company and they had noted this on your insurance documents, you may have inadvertenly increased your premium or even given the insurance company a reason not to pay out.

Oh and if all goes terribly wrong I'll give you a call and you can nip round from Livingston in London and replace it with a proper system

I prefer "Livingston in Scotland" and "Park Royal in London" When the new site is uploaded, there will be a Map ;)

By all means call us to have the panel replaced with a decent one, as the only support we provide for the Melcom system would be to hold the Bin Bag :lol:

Colin.

Archived