Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm

It all depends on what the roof is like?

There is different calculations for varying angles of roof.

I take it you mean dusty from the hay?

you would need to find out

Height of ceiling

Flat/angled roof

I recommend Apollo Detectors which is a personal preference and i use Morley Horizon Conventional panels

or use a beamset .

50116[/snapback]

cheers g...pitched roof with no obstacles approx 14ft high tho very drafty when the wind picks up..and bloody cold....how many bg's?? one at each fire exit..

Guest G.J.M

Do you mean a pitched roof with an apex or sloping?

For a apex roof you will need to find out the degrees and take it from there.If it is less than a 600mm rise for smoke or 150mm for heat it can be regarded as flat.

If over your detectors should start in the apex and detector coverage can be increased by 1% for every degree of roof pitch to a max of 25%.

You will need MCP's at both doors with a max of 45m travel distance from any point in building to get to one.

excuse my maths but i think yours building works out to be 548m2. :whistle:

i would go for an Optical beamset in the apex if you can be sure birds can't get in.

Do you mean a pitched roof with an apex or sloping?

For a apex roof you will need to find out the degrees and take it from there.If it is less than a 600mm rise for smoke or 150mm for heat it can be regarded as flat.

If over your detectors should start in the apex and detector coverage can be increased by 1% for every degree of roof pitch to a max of 25%.

You will need MCP's at both doors with a max of 45m travel distance from any point in building to get to one.

excuse my maths but i think yours building works out to be 548m2. :whistle:

i would go for an Optical beamset in the apex if you can be sure birds can't get in.

50131[/snapback]

cheers again g...the roof is quite low,bit like a bungalow,no chance of beams and the rate of heat would be cancelled out by the cold,more chance of smoke with the hay etc.....i thought fire was easy :blush:

Guest Cerberus NI
cheers again g...the roof is quite low,bit like a bungalow,no chance of beams and the rate of heat would be cancelled out by the cold,more chance of smoke with the hay etc.....i thought fire was easy :blush:

50187[/snapback]

If your dimensions are 60' by 30' that works out at about 18.2m by 9.1m.That gives a total area of approx. 166m2.A smoke detector covers approximately 100m2 so you would need 2 (positioned up the middle at 4.5 metres out from the gable ends or the max,whereas a heat detector covers approx. 50m2 so you would need 4 (positioned in the centre of each "quarter" of the ceiling).

This is assuming that it is a flat roof.If it is sloping the smokes go to the apex if outside the ranges given by GJM and 2 of the heats go in the apex middle quarter and the other 2 go approx. 6 metres below them on the same line.

Obviously smoke detection is preferred as by the time the heats go off the fire would be well lit.If no altenative to heat then go for rate of rise 60 degrees C (grade one from Apollo).I would also increase the number to increase detection time.

Assess also the need for audible warnings in the stables.You don't want horses being startled by bells or sounders when you are trying to get them out so beacons would be an alternative with sounders/notification in the occupied areas.

Guest G.J.M
If your dimensions are 60' by 30' that works out at about 18.2m by 9.1m.That gives a total area of approx. 166m2..

50211[/snapback]

Hey Cerberus i was close. ;)

Long time since i was at School.

Swatty pants :roflmao:

Engineer-if you decide on smoke detection a handy tip is use flea collars round them.This is great for keeping Thrip flies and dust mites away.

Used on a site last year next to a corn field and it works a treat.

Like Cerberus said it would take a fire before a heat detector activated and considering it's all hay it would be too late.

Optical is not the best detector for areas with potential insect problems unless designed to prevent it e.g apollo.

Ionisation are not suited to areas of high wind.

so if you go for optical detection you should make a point of regular cleaning.

Again with Apollo they are designed to be taken apart easily for this purpose.

Ionisation detectors cannot be properly cleaned due to the chamber being purposely impossible to get to due to radiation risk.

Use air duster to clean. Solo do a detector duster which is that but cheaper than RS etc.

good luck-not as easy as it looks ;)

just a quuick couple of points. it was said previously that the police dont recommend companies, ive been to several jobs where the police have recomened the company i work for. also everyone is saying that you should have the relavent experience to install fire then a few answers later you are all giving advise to a guy that doesnt have the experience!

Trade Intruder

If I was in your area and the Police where recommending your company I'd soon put a compaint in . it's not allowed

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

If I was in your area and the Police where recommending your company I'd soon put a compaint in . it's not allowed

50275[/snapback]

Unless things have changed recently dont local police maintain a list of security companies which comply to NSI etc which is available to the general public on request from the CPO so as to encourage the use of "reputable" security companies and not cold callers with tales of woe, a suitacase of equipment and if required a free lift to the bank to withdraw as much cash as posible for micky mouse equipment and non existant service?? the list i thought was "unbiased" and dependant on relevent registration with an inspectorate and a request to be added to the list! or was i just immagining it :blink: Paul.

Guest G.J.M
just a quuick couple of points. it was said previously that the police dont recommend companies, ive been to several jobs where the police have recomened the company i work for. also everyone is saying that you should have the relavent experience to install fire then a few answers later you are all giving advise to a guy that doesnt have the experience!

50268[/snapback]

well have you not just contradicted yourself then?

The police don't recommend but recommended my company!!!

I am trying to help another member out.Not a d.i.y'er.Is this not the point of this website???

I would like to think he could return the favour with security.He is going to install it himself anyway,so why not make sure he does it right.

If he had experience he would not need advice but i would rather help someone than see them go alone with no knowledge if they were determined to try it.

Maybe all the previous posts have raised a few eyebrows and shown it's not just a case of stick a smoke here and there,it's more involved than most people think.

And as i mentioned before end of discussion regards Nacoss.

They will get found out for themselves.They don't need my help.

Archived