Security Installer Community

Stand alone my printer

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

I am sure this is a simple enough task for one of you I.T. chaps out there.

I want to network my usb printer. Currently it is plugged into a machine in my study, but I appear to be spending more and more time on my laptop and not using my main machine.

If I want to print something from my laptop I just use the printer connected to my main machine through my Lan.

The problem is I dont always have my main machine on when I want to print . Therefore I reckon there must be a way of connecting my printer direct to my lan without the need of a cpu.

Thanks in advance

Pete :)

Wireless is no good for alarms but its great for computers.

Pete

38963[/snapback]

I can just hear it on the computer forum's "No No No not wireless, must be hardwired" :D

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I can just hear it on the computer forum's "No No No not wireless, must be hardwired"  :D

38964[/snapback]

Quite right! :lol:

The average home user who buys wireless computer kit is opening a huge can of worms, especially security ones! :o

Pete, I hope you know what you're doing if you're thinking of setting up a wireless network so you can connect to it from your laptop in the garden. Meanwhile a USB print hub, as recommended, is a good solution for sharing a printer on a network.

As for inkjet printers, I often just buy a new one (seriously) when the ink runs out. It's cheaper that way and the new one is usually faster and better quality.

Not good for the planet though :no:

I have already set up my wireless network (It was simple once I downloaded the correct drivers for my router)

Pete

38978[/snapback]

Have you:

a. secured access logon with an obscure and difficult private key

b. encrypted traffic

c. Firewalled it

d. monitored for unauthorised access

Archived