Security Installer Community

Patch Panel Connections

Nova-Security

Having problems with telephones through a patch panel, this is what i have existing.

patch panel for all data sockets, and a seperate panel for telephone incoming lines so i can patch a line to any socket and use a mod-tap to convert to phone socket, this works, left the phone and the line is there but can get the phone to ring.

Does anybody know which terminal on a patch panel (rj 45 ) the ring leg goes pin 3 of a telephone socket.

Thanks

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

RJ45 Socket...................RJ45 Plug..................BT Socket

1..................................1..............................4 Recall - if wired

2..................................2 - Ring.....................- Not connected

4..................................4...............................2 B leg

5..................................5...............................5 A leg

7..................................7...............................-

8..................................8...............................-

Can you explain a bit more what your problem is?

Analogue phones only use 2 wires to take a call and ring, via a master socket which filters out the ring signal to a third wire.

Have you got a "master" type adapter (mod-tap) not an extension one? This will sort out the correct signals for your phone.

If you're not sure look inside it (if you can). A master has some simple electical components (capacitor, etc.) but a slave/extension has none.

BT people please correct me.....................

Over my head this, give my a 300 zones intruder system anyday,

I have put in a patch panel to distribute our data and telephone services, in on patch panel it has the telephone lines in it, but i can get phones to ring when ringing in but you can make calls out on the phone, so i am missing a ring or something.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Sounds like you need a master mod-tap, or at least that's the easiest solution.

Usually, when wiring analogue phones through a modular wiring system they are only using one pair and are hanging off of a PABX, whereas the UK telephone wiring requires 3 wires to operate. Sticking a master mod-tap on the end of can make it work, but too many masters on the line can sometimes cause problems.

master socket feeds patch panel then i was going to have secondary mod-taps at various points, tried different ways of connecting but cant seem to get things working right.

Any ideas of what i should do.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

master socket feeds patch panel then i was going to have secondary mod-taps at various points, tried different ways of connecting but cant seem to get things working right.

Any ideas of what i should do.

38785[/snapback]

You are nearly there !, BT line terminals 2 and 5 in the socket wire to terminals 4 (Blue) and 5 (white/blue) on the PatchPanel, this gives you your line. If using a standard analogue telephone, to make it ring you need to use a Master mod-tap.

Secondary Mod-taps are used for phones that do not require the bell signal wire such as System featurephones on a telephone system.

You should be ok with using lots of master mod-taps, too many can sometimes have an effect on ADSL-enabled etc, but have seem 4 or 5 used simultaneously mant times without a fault and even BT frequently wire in all masters if wiring is in place with only 1 pair free.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

OK, the other way then, if you're using secondary mod-taps, is to connect pin 3 of the master socket (white\orange) to pin 2 on the patch panel (orange) in addition to Simons connections.

If you've got master sockets that then feed the patch panels you've got to use slave/extension mod-taps to plug your phone cable into.

Best to get your multimeter out on the mod-taps and verify that they're wired up to carry the ring signal, and on which connector. Then just wire up the other end the same.

OK, the other way then, if you're using secondary mod-taps, is to connect pin 3 of the master socket (white\orange) to pin 2 on the patch panel (orange) in addition to Simons connections.

38794[/snapback]

You need to check, I have come across secondary mod-taps where there is no connection to RJ45 Pin2 internally and hence the bell-wire is not passed. Best tyo check before rewiring it in.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the mod-tap\LAU thing!

Regarding the REN, most modern handsets are actually well under ! so you can quite easily go way past 4 and not suffer any problems. Just stop adding phones when they don't ring any more!

I wired a huge house recently, and installed a 48way patch panel. We also fitted a small (4-16) PBX, and patched this to the panel.

Direct lines from the NTE where patched to outlets aswell, using secondary modtaps.

I will try to find the numbers we used. We had a patchpanel wired with the RJ45's with the 16 exn's, and the direct lines, so these could be patched to the panels above.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Direct lines from the NTE where patched to outlets aswell, using secondary modtaps.

38856[/snapback]

But.. remember some telephones have a built-in capacitor so do not require the bell wire (whether is is passed through or not), seem to remember a lot of Interquartz phones have this.

It is definetly RJ45/Patchpanel terminal number 2 (orange) which cross connects the bell wire from terminal 3 in the LJU or direct from NTE5a. Just as long as the Mod-Tap/LAU supports it.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived