Security Installer Community

Flush ceiling mount extension speakers

Guest Chewie

With regards V=IR etc and I=0.75Amp, I wouldnt want any of my panels having a current draw of 750Ma from the internal sounders when on a lot of budget panels the fuse is 500ma and this usually includes what your detectors are drawing, hence my explanation that some alarm speakers are only rated at 0.25w. As you have stated a 9w speaker will draw 0.75 amps, so wattage is important.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest IM_Alarms

A 9Watt speaker is capable of handling 9Watts, the figure you should be looking at is the resistance of the speaker and the current or voltage from the panel, isn't it?

Guest IM_Alarms

Also the panel voltage may be 12 Volts but the speaker output is a signal .... i.e it is a.c. and I would expect it to be a lot lower than 12 volts. you can work out the load using the current draw figure from the panel book, normally around 100mA i think.

Presumably what is important is that the speaker produces the right volume for the signal the panel produces. Hence best to use a speaker designed for alarms specifically.

A 0.25W 16-ohm speaker (ref Breff) would I think draw 125mA at "maximum" load which seems appropriate for the fuses used. The peak voltage would incidentally only be about 2V.

You could try this one, or look on the CPC site for something else.CPC speaker

most ceiling speakers will be 8Ohm but you could balance them up to 16Ohm by adding a resister or two. :yes:

38636[/snapback]

Thanks, that is by far the nicest looking alarm extension speaker I have seen so far.

You could also take a Low voltage light fitting and mount a standard round alarm speaker in that or get a bit of perforated metal sheet fix the speaker to one side and then screw the whole assembly to the ceiling.

Colin.

Archived