Security Installer Community

Flush ceiling mount extension speakers

Guest Chewie

Does anyone know where you can get 16 ohm flush ceiling mount extension speakers suitable for an optima g3 alarm panel. All the genuine alarm extension speakers are pretty ugly wall mount, but I would like to fit one flush in the ceiling. The only flush ceiling speakers I can seem to find are 8 ohm with mid range and tweeter intended for a stereo system and hence a lot more money.

The only ones I can think of that might fit the bill are Public Address system speakers, but those are usually a good 8 inches in diameter, which is pretty wide. Also, I bet the speakers fitted to them are pretty expensive ones. Have you had a look at the Pyronix Twin Alert? It's quite small, and can be ceiling mounted.

Trade Member

Having a similar problem I just took the speaker out of a standard (ugly) surface mount alarm speaker and mounted it in a recess.

Being too lazy to drive to Maplin or wherever I then just cut the front face off the speaker box (carefully and neatly) with a small hacksaw to make a grille.

A bit of filing to tidy it up and then painted over you don't notice it. :D

Thanks antinode, I guess that would do if there are no flush fitting avalable. Quite surprised this is not an option though. I have an RKP just inside the front door, and was going to fit an additional speaker for conformation of a system set upon leaving the house. In your opinion is this necessary or are the tones from the RKP adequate.

Yes I could fit a 16 ohm speaker and buy a seperate grill, just wanted to know if there was something made specifically for the job.

Is this not a regular request you professional installers recieve.

Having a similar problem I just took the speaker out of a standard (ugly) surface mount alarm speaker and mounted it in a recess.

Being too lazy to drive to Maplin or wherever I then just cut the front face off the speaker box (carefully and neatly) with a small hacksaw to make a grille.

A bit of filing to tidy it up and then painted over you don't notice it.  :D

38494[/snapback]

Yes I am surprised there are not more attractive alarm extension speakers available. The ones made by ADE look like a thow back to the 70's :lol:

In your opinion is this necessary or are the tones from the RKP adequate.

38495[/snapback]

I've got a similar system (Accenta G3) with RKP near the door and the keypad tones are pretty pathetic. The speaker certainly helps you hear them from outside.

That would match the impedance, but the higher the wattage the higher the current draw from the panel, some alarm speakers are as low as 0.25 watt.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived