Security Installer Community

BT Inspiration

Guest nick_w

Ah obviously the replacement for 'the brick' then i assume

38969[/snapback]

The Work Manager terminal was always called the brick, probably still is, but useful as a hammer if could not be bothered to walk back to van up the road.

Seen traffic wardens and parking attendants using them as well !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

What is in the green cabinets??  Just terminations??

38994[/snapback]

Didnt know BT had dropped the husky Smart, Toughbooks very posh ! Have they set them up for wireless or mobile access yet ?

Green cabinets, terminations you are right between E and D side on Krone strips, MM, 110 or traditional Crimp Jelly plugs 2a.

Also you may find a working telephone line as a Cabinet exchange line (ha ha if you are lucky), several DACS White internal units and maybe an old sandwich !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

A DACS will send two lines down one pair if either their aren't enough pairs running into the premises or the engineer can't be arsed to look for any.

If you request broadband and you have a DACS on the line BT will remove it if possible, usually by shoving it on someone elses line so if your neighbours dial-up connection suddenly slows down when you get BB you know why!

If it's a major job to remove it, e.g. all pairs are already DACSed to the hilt, then BT won't go to the extent of running more pairs in to get you a clear line for broadband.

More info, and pics, here.

Lurchy my son you read to many BTsuck.com articles. :lol: Every one forgets that BT inherited a network that was put in by the Government. DACS was used as a so called temp salutation to Line plant shortage unfortunately they are still widely used Temp of cause. Its not common practice to dacs another line any more as its not part of BTs new network :unsure: . The reason why BT does not have to support ADSL on the copper network is because the service is not a vital service like PSTN. BT is under licence to provide PSTN lines to any where. BT will try and provide a line for your ADSL but they are not under licence to do so. As for engineers not being arsed to find a spr pr is not true all engineers are voluntarily on a bonus scheme and they can make more money in getting a pr to your house then placing a DACS on the line. ;)

Lurchy my son you read to many BTsuck.com articles.  :lol: 

39117[/snapback]

I know, I just jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago and found it quite comfortable! I know there are good engineers out there, sorry. :whistle::unsure:

Archived