Security Installer Community

BT Inspiration

Guest nick_w

Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop the external line capture from scrolling through the 4 lines?

I have a BT Inspiration with 2 external lines and 7 extensions (with a 1st 006 card installed).

Just moved the ccu and reset it, and now when I press the '9 for outside line' it scrolls through the 4 outside lines (even though I only have 2 in use) - this can be seen from the system phone line lights momentarily lighting up every time I press 9 and then hang up and then try again. When it gets to Line 1 I get a dial tone, all the other times a busy tone.

I've allocated group 2 and 3 to Line 1 and 2 respectively: thus I can now always get a dial tone on Line 1 by dialling 81. However, I still get a busy tone when dialling 82 (where I should be getting a dial tone from Line 2).

So basically I need to set it for 9 for any outside line (1 or 2) and enable Line 2 on the PBX (it is definitely working - I get a dial tone when wired up to a master socket).

Any advice would be gratefully received, or pointed in the direction of the ccu user manual. I have the system phone user manual and although that deals with line programming it does not cover this specific issue.

Thanks

Nick

You need to remove Line 3 and 4 from "Equipped Lines", programming is done from a Systemphone from extension 20 (by default), the default PIN as left by BT is normally "1111".

Press the programming key, scroll to System programming-Lines-Equipped Lines, then select the lines as required, when finished, press the handsfree/monitor key to finish programming.

All programming is indicated byt he diamonds you have probably seen, a fillled-in diamond obviously means the feature/line/extension is selected for that programming aspect.

Also check Extension access to outgoing lines under System Progamming-Lines-Outgoing restriction, select the line required and ensure that no extensions are selected (barredd from access to the line).

On question of manuals, I only have the Inspiration manual as paper version, But have the Pathway programming manual in PDF, the programming codes are identical to the Inspiration as the Pathway is just the new name/version with a newer software level and rebrand. Drop me an email if you want a copy.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

What about the BT Versitility??  Any manuals available for this PBX?

38480[/snapback]

No, BT-only system new so manual will be kept under wraps I guess, should be pretty similar as made by same OEM Lake Comms, as systems go 2nd user, manuals will start going around and then the users will get better service than they do new from BT.

BT are doing special deals at the mo to sell the system, free installation of lines etc with the purchase price, so they are obviously trying to win back more of the SME market (that they went and lost) again !

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

this stuffs better than alarms!! :)  im still confused by b-leg dis :o

38582[/snapback]

Ha Ha - have you been listening to BT automatic test system ? not always that accurate though !

Don't know about better than alarms but reckon we get less callouts than on alarms ! No tamper-wire to go dis etc !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Ha Ha - have you been listening to BT automatic test system ?  not always that accurate though !

Don't know about better than alarms but reckon we get less callouts than on alarms !  No tamper-wire to go dis etc !

38618[/snapback]

is it illegal so to speak to use the bt engineers test facilty?? i know some people do it...tho not me of course :whistle:

Ha Ha - have you been listening to BT automatic test system ?  not always that accurate though !

Don't know about better than alarms but reckon we get less callouts than on alarms !  No tamper-wire to go dis etc !

38618[/snapback]

You just need to know how to interpret her :lol:

is it illegal so to speak to use the bt engineers test facilty?? i know some people do it...tho not me of course :whistle:

38685[/snapback]

Officially Yes but the number is well known. Except the number for testing Other licensed operators lines. Same system (RATES) but not the 5 or 9 digit number

38685[/snapback]

Test facility? BT? Engineers? I've never heard of this thing........ :whistle:

Last I heard it was going to be revamped with a new improved service, with passwords! Not sure what happened to that.

38758[/snapback]

The system is quite old now it did have an overhaul about 3 years ago but with the onslaught of 21cn it will vanish from the test systems we have available. Allot of the tests are done on the laptop so you only use the test number really to obtaine circuit information or to place remote tones on. I expect it has another 5 years operation and then will be switched off like the SALT test number. :cry:

I expect it has another 5  years operation and then will be switched off like the SALT test number. :cry:

38759[/snapback]

Ooh, I've got a bit of time to use it then! I don't really use the test facilities on it much, it's more useful when finding lines in amongst masses of DP's\NTTP's. :rolleyes: At least I can test ISDN lines without involving BT anyway. ;):)

You have to press 1 to access system after the prompt if you authorised, strictly speaking it is illegal, when a BT engineer I used to use it a lot as Smart says for remote tones which was very useful when out in the sticks.

Nowadays I just you it for a CLI check, most carriers have a number for this, but some cable companies use different numbers in different franchise areas, I used to have a list of Bt and cables ones about 10 strong, but only few are still working.

They get abused a lot, the BT system who used to have a line length indicator on it, but the number was posted on too many public forums and it was abused by ADSL-wanters ! who were checking how far from exchange then arguing with BT about getting enabled, pretty stupid illegal use of a test system then revealing the usage to the test facility owner to gripe !

The line length indicator disapeared some time ago.

Now "Line tests ok" is her most pleasant saying (depending which side of the grass you are standing !).

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

The old-boys trick, saturday afternoon, wire in a NTE5a with a courtesy phone connected to the E-side in the cab - aaah Line test OK, let someone worry about the crappy D-side on Monday.

Remeber doing it to the old 0800 number from my mobile - LTOK and with butt on the BT66 outside NDT.

It was useful but perhaps erratic, the longer the test took I seem to remeber, the more chance of getting the old "Test Facility unavailable, please contact your control message", unfortunaetly at that time contacting control meant up to a 2hour wait in the queue, and the work manager terminal always had an out of date test message on with some crappy notes !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

The old-boys trick, saturday afternoon, wire in a NTE5a with a courtesy phone connected to the E-side in the cab - aaah Line test OK, let someone worry about the crappy D-side on Monday.

Remeber doing it to the old 0800 number from my mobile - LTOK and with butt on the BT66 outside NDT.

It was useful but perhaps erratic, the longer the test took I seem to remeber, the more chance of getting the old "Test Facility unavailable, please contact your control message", unfortunaetly at that time contacting control meant up to a 2hour wait in the queue, and the work manager terminal always had an out of date test message on with some crappy notes !

38771[/snapback]

LOL nothing has changed Simmon. Managment though got clever and check the line length of some jobs that would come back out as repeat reports next day :lol: I take it you were in the field or still are for the marvelous BT

LOL nothing has changed  Simmon. Managment though got clever and check the line length of some jobs that would come back out as repeat reports next day  :lol:  I take it you were in the field or still are for the marvelous BT

38773[/snapback]

Management are getting clever !, wonder if they still do the old 4 jobs a day quota never-minding if you are working on quick and easy ISDN2 faults or 3 line installations overhead with 10 extensions !

Yes, quite a few years ago now I used to be a T2a in the field for BT, enjoyable times and a good intro to the trade, but very frustrating at times !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

LOL Yep same as you was T2a now we are classed as B2s Still have the stats to hit like 4 + jobs a day but it is easier if you are not multi skilled as I was before September. Quite easily clear enough jobs to keep them of my back. Yes they are good times but as you say it can be very frustrating. :yes: Still they fund my company ok so I cant moan to much ;)

The 4-jobs a day used to drive me up the wall, when I was on, they kept doing experiements with classifying different groups for a week into install and maintenance, on maintenance, no problems - 4 jobs a day, rememer picking up a load of faults in some big departmnet store (about 20 lines dis to little sub-outlets), cleared all 20 in a few hours (BT Systems engineer had got confused and ripped all the jumpers out tof the NTTP !).

Then next, started install week and got a res install for some BT top manager, couple of lines with 4 extns off each (massive house) - all to different places (including the toilet !) and needed to run about 4 spans of OH Dropwire 10. Long day, bloody worked hard and got a sarcy text from manager the next day about only doing one job !

No common-sense, just statistics, once you get to know some of the guys in control, was not a problem as they would ask for and return favours, keep you close to home as long as you cleared their business ISDN2 or analogue faults quickly, hence then the 4 jobs a day was easy and you could keep the management "off your back".

Never could understand how you could work really hard all day and still be under-performing though !

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived