Security Installer Community

BT Inspiration

Guest nick_w

Last I heard it was going to be revamped with a new improved service, with passwords! Not sure what happened to that.

38758[/snapback]

The system is quite old now it did have an overhaul about 3 years ago but with the onslaught of 21cn it will vanish from the test systems we have available. Allot of the tests are done on the laptop so you only use the test number really to obtaine circuit information or to place remote tones on. I expect it has another 5 years operation and then will be switched off like the SALT test number. :cry:

I expect it has another 5  years operation and then will be switched off like the SALT test number. :cry:

38759[/snapback]

Ooh, I've got a bit of time to use it then! I don't really use the test facilities on it much, it's more useful when finding lines in amongst masses of DP's\NTTP's. :rolleyes: At least I can test ISDN lines without involving BT anyway. ;):)

You have to press 1 to access system after the prompt if you authorised, strictly speaking it is illegal, when a BT engineer I used to use it a lot as Smart says for remote tones which was very useful when out in the sticks.

Nowadays I just you it for a CLI check, most carriers have a number for this, but some cable companies use different numbers in different franchise areas, I used to have a list of Bt and cables ones about 10 strong, but only few are still working.

They get abused a lot, the BT system who used to have a line length indicator on it, but the number was posted on too many public forums and it was abused by ADSL-wanters ! who were checking how far from exchange then arguing with BT about getting enabled, pretty stupid illegal use of a test system then revealing the usage to the test facility owner to gripe !

The line length indicator disapeared some time ago.

Now "Line tests ok" is her most pleasant saying (depending which side of the grass you are standing !).

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

The old-boys trick, saturday afternoon, wire in a NTE5a with a courtesy phone connected to the E-side in the cab - aaah Line test OK, let someone worry about the crappy D-side on Monday.

Remeber doing it to the old 0800 number from my mobile - LTOK and with butt on the BT66 outside NDT.

It was useful but perhaps erratic, the longer the test took I seem to remeber, the more chance of getting the old "Test Facility unavailable, please contact your control message", unfortunaetly at that time contacting control meant up to a 2hour wait in the queue, and the work manager terminal always had an out of date test message on with some crappy notes !

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

The old-boys trick, saturday afternoon, wire in a NTE5a with a courtesy phone connected to the E-side in the cab - aaah Line test OK, let someone worry about the crappy D-side on Monday.

Remeber doing it to the old 0800 number from my mobile - LTOK and with butt on the BT66 outside NDT.

It was useful but perhaps erratic, the longer the test took I seem to remeber, the more chance of getting the old "Test Facility unavailable, please contact your control message", unfortunaetly at that time contacting control meant up to a 2hour wait in the queue, and the work manager terminal always had an out of date test message on with some crappy notes !

38771[/snapback]

LOL nothing has changed Simmon. Managment though got clever and check the line length of some jobs that would come back out as repeat reports next day :lol: I take it you were in the field or still are for the marvelous BT

Archived