Security Installer Community

Direct Cable connection

Smart Electrics

Hi Smart1, did the web page I posted help? Have you tested your cable to check it has all the right connections?

Another thought; what protocols are you installing on each computer? XP will want to use TCP/IP and nothing else. Win 98 will probably want to use Netbeui by default.

There is a version of Netbeui available for XP; you'll probably find it on a Microsoft web site by googling. It's only about 100K in total.

I have had this working as few years ago now, I used to backup files this way Win 2000 Laptop to a Win 98 Desktop and XP is not all that different from 2000.

I know it took a lot of messing around with the TCPIP settings, I found a lot of info by searching for Direct Cable Connection or DCC on Google.

It was very easy from 98 to 98 but harder with any other OS. I know I got it working on TCPIP and used the little DCC utility on the Win 98 Disk to connect.

Good luck, if you get stuck let me know and I will dig through my old files and see if there is anything I can email or any other links to send you.

Took me about 3 or 4 hours of messing around to get it working.

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Hi Smart1, did the web page I posted help? Have you tested your cable to check it has all the right connections?

Another thought; what protocols are you installing on each computer? XP will want to use TCP/IP and nothing else. Win 98 will probably want to use Netbeui by default.

There is a version of Netbeui available for XP; you'll probably find it on a Microsoft web site by googling. It's only about 100K in total.

36507[/snapback]

Sorry mate.

I got called out when I started reading it. Yea cable seems ok I will have to do some playing. Thanks to all for your help ;)

You're welcome. :D

Often PC to PC networking isn't 100% reliable; in particular you can have a connection but not "see" anything. If you know it's there and what it's called you can access it!

If using TCP/IP ping between the machines to check the link is working (ask if you don't know how).

Make sure you've actually shared some resources for the other PC to access. Give them short simple names (and the PC's too).

Try to access a shared directory directly using "Map a network drive", e.g. map S: to \\XPsystem\Mystuff

Good luck.

If both PCs have USB use a pen drive to transfer data, I used dcc but it was a nightmare, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt, sometimes it would only work oneway. My PCs are now networked thru my broadband router, much easier. If the laptop doesnt have usb you can use a pcmcia cf card adaptor.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• 1 year later...

Archived