Security Installer Community

Choosing the best internet source at a new jobsite... how?

torclausen

It's not simple to do securely hence why it's not common.

People don't realise how the things we plug into our internet work or how exploitable they are.

A device that sits on the network that sends data outbound and can be accessed inbound is a server.

Every server has a chance to be exploited in some way, some kit is much more secure than others.

IT bods job is going around making sure this exploiting doesn't happen and minimise risk to data leaks.

In basic terms having a dedicated connection to the internet means only devices within that connection would be hackable.

Maybe you should look at a RasPi, but there is a lot to learn.

You don't necessarily need to use a service, you could host the service if you know what you are doing.

you could also upload stills from these cameras to a static webserver, then ensure the web server is secure etc. Im assuming these cameras con only see inside bird boxes etc, no public area overspill etc

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's not simple to do securely hence why it's not common.

People don't realise how the things we plug into our internet work or how exploitable they are.

A device that sits on the network that sends data outbound and can be accessed inbound is a server.

Every server has a chance to be exploited in some way, some kit is much more secure than others.

IT bods job is going around making sure this exploiting doesn't happen and minimise risk to data leaks.

In basic terms having a dedicated connection to the internet means only devices within that connection would be hackable.

Maybe you should look at a RasPi, but there is a lot to learn.

You don't necessarily need to use a service, you could host the service if you know what you are doing.

This helps. Thank you. I think hosting a service myself is too much trouble. I am attempting to make this replicate-able in other buildings. So simpler the better. It is crazy that I can't piggyback on the existing internet, as I use simple wyze cameras in my own life, and no need for admin clearance with them. But I do need ethernet, so I see thats different. 

If I set-up a few POE cameras and send out a live stream feed to youtube somehow (any advice gladly accepted) while on a dedicated monthly service plan....  It seems like that would work. No one else will be on the service but the birds.

OP your not seeing or listening so good luck.

1) Making it work as you want is one thing, thats easy

2) Making it work properly is something else entirely.

I feel your missing that point and just want to make it work.

'An open door isnt access control but keeps every legitimate user of the door happy' 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

My apologies. The main problem is my poor understanding of security issues. 

"In basic terms having a dedicated connection to the internet means only devices within that connection would be hackable."

I feel that you all have talked me out of using existing building networks. So I'm moving on to paying a monthly ISP. 

Can we start by explaining how my setup above will fail and be problematic? Will someone breach the cameras, and then upset my ISP?

Edited by torclausen

So take the example of your Wyze stuff on your network it will be using your internet even if it's wireless...

If something like this happens (and it likely will) it's then the issue of what they can damage or pivot on to during the breach.

On a domestic site like your home there is less to gain maybe you get included into some botnet for a bit or your devices/electric is used to mine bitcoins for them.

You probably won't easily notice and the devices continue to do what you need, I personally wouldn't want this breach but most aren't tech savvy enough to know or care.

It's going to be mostly just your family's information to breach; unless your working from home, that's another minefield...

In a commercial situation the IT dept need to protect against this, these situations may leave attackers an option to poke about on all the computers and servers on the system.

Potentially gaining private information that they are required to protect by DPA/GDPR on behalf of other people. Not to mention other business plans or whatever you wouldn't want public.

I can understand this may seem frustrating your trying to do a decent thing but it seem like brick walls everywhere.

I am thinking you need a few people onboard with some tech knowledge, maybe even a webdev. Something like...

A RasPi with camera module, 5G contract USB dongle, have it upload stills or small videos of just activity from your Pi's to a remote server and the webdev could tie it all together into a website for consumption. 

7 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

So take the example of your Wyze stuff on your network it will be using your internet even if it's wireless...

If something like this happens (and it likely will) it's then the issue of what they can damage or pivot on to during the breach.

On a domestic site like your home there is less to gain maybe you get included into some botnet for a bit or your devices/electric is used to mine bitcoins for them.

You probably won't easily notice and the devices continue to do what you need, I personally wouldn't want this breach but most aren't tech savvy enough to know or care.

It's going to be mostly just your family's information to breach; unless your working from home, that's another minefield...

In a commercial situation the IT dept need to protect against this, these situations may leave attackers an option to poke about on all the computers and servers on the system.

Potentially gaining private information that they are required to protect by DPA/GDPR on behalf of other people. Not to mention other business plans or whatever you wouldn't want public.

I can understand this may seem frustrating your trying to do a decent thing but it seem like brick walls everywhere.

I am thinking you need a few people onboard with some tech knowledge, maybe even a webdev. Something like...

A RasPi with camera module, 5G contract USB dongle, have it upload stills or small videos of just activity from your Pi's to a remote server and the webdev could tie it all together into a website for consumption. 

I love that you took time to write this. Many thank you's. I am feeling all the brick walls... you are right... but I also watch very cool wildlife cams from all around the world, and know it can be done. I'm here to lessen (but likely not eliminate) my failures this year. Last year had plenty of flubups. 

I can now see how the wyze cam method of connection is a no go. Thank you. 

It is crucial that I have live streamed video, at good resolution. Thats a big part of the project. 

I love this idea, its sort what I am attempting by having these conversations. But at the beginning, I'm so clunky I turn people off. With your help I can be closer to where I need to be. But delegation sounds lovely. Might be next year tho.

I am painting a picture for this year... of my father having a POE camera kit, with a HDD hub and a video out to his TV, being my starting point. No internet needed initially.

Then I begin the process of learning the safest manner to live stream to youtube/facebook. In my amateur mind... I would see a firewall set up in which only outbound is allowed. (I bet that is naive) either via his desktop and building wifi or an independent ISP. 

Do you think if I started with a kit like this, and ran it for the year, I could begin to make a game plan for a safe outbound streaming method? Or should I look at another camera system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094XVH5SR/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A22EYB2OIILVQA&th=1

I'm all ears, but I do need to move on this soon, the woodpeckers are looking for a nest.

Tor

PS, I am a life long photographer and have a ton of needs from the camera, but I feel more comfortable with that end of things, so I'm leaving that whole part of this out of the discussion.