Security Installer Community

Electric garage door on main alarm??

damp_Squid

Hello (and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year etc...)!

I've recently moved into a home with an integrated garage. There's a Scantronic 9450 currently installed (with questionable implementation of security for the front door); however I'm wanting to get the integrated (powered) garage door wired into the alarm. Just looking for the art of the possible & suggestions of kit.

Essentially I'd like to be able to activate/disarm the house alarm when using the garage, preferably without having to have a remote keypad (whether it's remote on the door opener/rfid tag etc), so I can drive in/out without having to mess round with getting in and out of the car constantly!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what they think would work best?

Thanks!!

41 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Euro 46 + RF expander + remote fob + bag of relays

cira £200 upwards+ +vat  for the controls ect...

by the "bag the relays the alarm remote will probably be abe to control the garage door off the alarm fob

Amazing, thank you! Hadn't thought of doing it that way round (alarm to trigger relay for door) - I was digging round trying to find if there was a door receiver that could be used to trigger the alarm!

Will have a route round for the bits, then might have a better idea of specific Q's to ask (like "how do I make sure the alarm doesn't automatically arm if I just close the door" - but I need to know how many channels on the RF before I do that)! ?

1 minute ago, whistle said:

You could botch it and achieve what you need with 1 mains rated relay about £10.00

I may as well dive in and do it properly (that way I'll get round to putting contact switches on the doors, rather than just relying on an interestingly placed PIR in the hall).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Amusing your scraping the panel for something modern and higher end there are multiple ways to achieve this.

Concerns come around the convenience versus security of the solution you use.

Consider that if your device to open your door also unset the system too, how easily compromised the system is.

Normally when designing systems where you E/E via garage I would want the system to set on garage door close but not completely unset on opening. Have some other action to confirm your switching the system off for example.