Security Installer Community

scantronic 9600 exit timer problem

Hi all

So i've got a scantronic 9600, it's mega old i know but seems to work well enough

however last night i armed it on area B to go to bed however the exit timer didn't stop after the usual 30 seconds, it continued without stopping for a few minutes until i went back to the keypad

however once i passed the entry detector halfway down the stairs the entry timer started and it seemed to disarm fine

i managed to get it to arm again and it was fine,

so was this just a random software bug or a sign of problems to come?

well it is 30 years old according to the manual (installed 1990)

thinking about it, about 2 or 3 years ago i did have an issue with the entry timer not stopping, i think i entered walk test to stop that

once it starts acting up more frequently i'll replace it, what do you reccomend? ideally need something with at least 16 zones (all 16 are filled some with 2-3 detectors on a zone) I'd like something with zone descriptions, fire zones and a relay interface

i had a quick look at other panels tonight, and i do quite like the look of the galaxy series.....don't seem to be able to find any larger scantronic panels

3 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

you should only have 1 detector per zone/circuit

true! house is pretty large and has a lot of protection, seems the previous owner was rather paranoid as all downstairs rooms have at least 1 PIR and all windows have vibration sensors

as well as 4 i think? smoke detectors on the system

many door contacts too! 2 speakers, 2 bell boxes, 3 sound bombs (i think they're called) and an ultrasonic aritech

you should see the inside of the control panel haha

its a good level of detection, I have all external windows and doors with shock sensors and all downstairs rooms have movement sensors. All on their own circuit. 2 external sounders but proper signalling

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There's an SD1 dialler hooked up to it too, looks an awful lot newer though.....obviously done a complicated way from what i've seen it uses a plug on relay interface with different outputs connected to the dialler (fire, intruder and panic)

I can't see a way to get in at all without triggering the alarm, i'm starting to suspect it was installed by an engineer who lived here as there's no recipets only the user and installation manuals and i do have the engineer code

I feel like a challenge so when the time comes i would like to give it a go in replacing the panel myself, like i said i'm very interested in the galaxy series (and i think the mk7 keypad as the newer one looks a bit tacky....same with the texecom premier)

Would using the current PIR's be reccomended? It's a mix of what i believe are racal apollo's and racal scorpio's, and in a keeping with the retro theme i'd like to keep the ultrasonic as it seems to be reliable.......the whole system has only false alarmed once (feel that was my doing though as the house has warm air heating and i left that on while out all day)

and yes i have done a vast amount of research on detector models before posting, as i didn't want to waste your time guessing what they might be

28 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

you should only have 1 detector per zone/circuit

its from the era when more than 16 circuits was rare & expensive....

10 latching sensors on one zone complied

27 minutes ago, picasso said:

true! house is pretty large and has a lot of protection, seems the previous owner was rather paranoid as all downstairs rooms have at least 1 PIR and all windows have vibration sensors

as well as 4 i think? smoke detectors on the system

many door contacts too! 2 speakers, 2 bell boxes, 3 sound bombs (i think they're called) and an ultrasonic aritech

you should see the inside of the control panel haha

I assume there's more than 1 large steel box for the controls ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

30 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

its from the era when more than 16 circuits was rare & expensive....

10 latching sensors on one zone complied

I assume there's more than 1 large steel box for the controls ?

indeed, theres an additional power supply next to the control panel

in a weird way i'd rather try and keep this going for as long as i can, it really is a lovely control panel to use and has a very nice menu interface

But as i say if the time is up then it's replacement time