Security Installer Community

BT RedCare

jb-eye

Guest IM_Alarms
The older kit was better (Strowger) as you could see the call being placed and trafficed to its destination. I was lucky when I did work experiance with BT and saw this type of switch in operation

Sorry i'm a bit late in with a reply, but London Transport still used all that gear along time after BT had finished with it, So if your feeling a bit nostalgic Smart1 then get down toLeicester Square Tube station.............

Very true. Like Smarty, I'm ex BT, did 14 years as a mulitskilled Eng, ended up in one of the Controls in Petersfield as a Senior Technician. Over here on the IOW its quite family orientated, lots of dad's, brothers, sons etc and yes, its very much who you know in order to get on.

Good training, good kit & good benefits and (when I was there) oportunities to get on up the ladder. The strong focus on customer care helped me a lot when I decided to go self employed and did this for 2 years before getting into Security.

Having said that, its not the same now and you are pushed more and more to do more & more. 

Non replies to applications are very common. I would say keep writing to them every 4 to 6 months and give it plenty on being able to work both in a team & on your own initative and on putting the needs of the client first. It took 3 years for me to get an interview with them and I had almost given up hope.

32616[/snapback]

How are you Brother ;) Add8 gone back as Cal/OMI now peace of Pee. No more UG for me done me 5 years jointing chap. For those interested in a career the web site for the recruiting firm for BT is www.totalstaffing.co.uk I do beleive they are looking for engineers in BT retail and BT wholsale. If you go for the retail side its more customer contact but the presure is more. Saying that xmas time is a good month for tips.? ;)

Sorry i'm a bit late in with a reply, but London Transport still used all that gear along time after BT had finished with it, So if your feeling a bit nostalgic Smart1 then get down toLeicester Square Tube station.............

Hey, guess where I'm going the next time I'm in London!! I loved all that old clockwork gear & used to work with it long before joining BT in a factory that made it.

The most spooky thing was being in an Exchange at the time of them going TXE 4 or Digital and then the sound of hundreds of chattering Selector Units falling silent at the time of switchover. "Pulling the Wedges" as we called it!! Happy days.

Thanks for the link brother Smarty :D Good luck mate, I'm seriously considering such a move at the moment, as I loved copper & fibre jointing. No stress.

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Hmm looked at Totalstaffing, are the BT jobs on there working for BT direct of working for the employment agency, doesnt really explain that well. Is a contract vacancy direct or not?

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

:wub: What a fantastic trip down memory lane. Smarty, if you were a girly, I'd leave my wife and run away with you. I bet you've got a working switch in your garage mate :D

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Hmm looked at Totalstaffing, are the BT jobs on there working for BT direct of working for the employment agency, doesnt really explain that well. Is a contract vacancy direct or not?

32678[/snapback]

Monteey you are recruited on behalf of BT through IPS for a fixed term contract after your initial training of 4 weeks (Safety) you are then placed on the BT books. If you are good enough then you should be offered a full term contract. So that means 6 months full sick pay after 6 months down to half. 5 weeks holiday. Pension. and you will be entitled to other benefits like Broadband for £10 and computers at more then half price these benefits are taken out of your wages before tax man has it!

Ah ok that answers the question, thanks guys been really helpful, may give em a ring tomoz to see whats what.

No wonder its so hard to get a foot in the door with all the benefits, you sure they just dont hand out wads of free money to everyone as well :lol:

Mark Hawks

Well spoke to IPS and they think there a vacancy quite local to me, they got to check with BT direct and get back to me.

They say it is a short term contract, so warned me that im not guaranteed a job after the term is up. What chances would there be of a permanent contract with BT or are they likely to chuck you out the door at the end?

Mark Hawks

Archived