Security Installer Community

Can anyone help me identify this alarm panel?

hankhank10

Evening

I have just bought a house with an old, but seemingly functional, intruder alarm. I would like to replace the panel with a more modern one but can't identify the brand or model or where to start as there are no identifying marks or labels on it. Can anyone help me identify the panel below and point me towards suggestions for an upgrade option?

Thanks!

spacer.png

That's a Scantronic (now Eaton) 9x5x series alarm. It is old but you can still buy the 9651! (a basic 8 zone max version)

Are you intending to fit the upgrade yourself, and what features are you looking for? When was the alarm last serviced?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

That's brilliant, thank you!

I have no idea when the alarm was last serviced - perhaps never. I know that the old owners used it and reported no issues.

At a minimum I would want to do a like-for-like replacement for a panel which isn't bashed and dirty. Would this be a simple job (ie read the manual, disconnect old one, reconnect new one with wires in the same place) for someone utterly unskilled (can wire a plug, not much beyond), or would I need to get a professional in?

If there are upgraded versions which look more modern, have features such as unlocking with a keyfob / wifi connection then I'd be keen to upgrade to the latest version. I've got no appetite for a complete rework of the system - good enough is good enough for me.

Thanks for your assistance in identifying it - wouldn't have known where to start otherwise.

Sounds like a professional job then, also you would need to prove it is indeed 'good enough' by having the existing wiring and sensors checked (for operation, suitability and placement/coverage) before worrying about replacing it.

e.g. have you got pets, are the existing sensors pet friendly? Do the sensors installed work?

The next issue is that whilst I and many others can recommend a system, most installers will prefer their own system and most will install only that.

Personally I would replace this alarm with an Eaton (Scantronic) i-On 40H which can handle up to 10 wired zones and any new sensors can be wireless,

the keypad accepts fobs and you can also have radio fobs. The best bit is the free cloud app to you can monitor and control the alarm from a smartphone.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks. If an installer wants to put in a new system does that entail replacing all the sensors, etc? Or can a new panel use the existing wiring and sensors? If getting a new panel basically involves getting a new system then I will probably pull out what is in there already and replace with a more modern wireless system (eg Ring or Simplisafe).

How much am I looking at do you think for a service and labour to replace the panel?

Thanks

No, the idea is to check what is already there, and if it's working, and appropriate (as I say, pet sensors if you have pets) thats fine, but you need to do this before you upgrade.

Ring and simplisafe (which looks utter tat, I have to say) are quite expensive subscription based models and in the long run would offer zero saving for a product with a definate finite life.

As you can see Scantronic (Eaton) are still supporting models 20 years later. You can guess what a US based Silicon Valleys tech co's attitude will be to even a 5 year old product!

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

No, the idea is to check what is already there, and if it's working, and appropriate (as I say, pet sensors if you have pets) thats fine, but you need to do this before you upgrade.

Ring and simplisafe (which looks utter tat, I have to say) are quite expensive subscription based models and in the long run would offer zero saving for a product with a definate finite life.

As you can see Scantronic (Eaton) are still supporting models 20 years later. You can guess what a US based Silicon Valleys tech co's attitude will be to even a 5 year old product!

Identify to DIY , kind of rhymes I think