Security Installer Community

Texecom 832 : Configuring zone with exit delay

Hi,

I have a Texecom 832 panel (can confirm exact software version once home again)

I am trying to configure a new external PIR that covers the driveway in front of the garage to have an exit delay when Arming (Away arm specifically) the system, as we are getting some false alarms when my wife arms the system when slightly too close to the Garage

I have configure the exit delay for the Partition that the zone belongs to (Programming menu option 20)

But this seems not to have added any exit delay at all.

Does anyone know what I am missing here, or suggest what else I should check and report back on for better feedback?

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Exit delay isn't really the best option here can you not reposition the sensor

I wondered if I understood it correctly. I'm assuming I am missing something on how the exit delay works?

Moving the sensor is not practical. The only other location that I can fit it to still cover the lock box (initial install reason) would either cause a lot of false alarms due to a neighbour who shares the driveway or require me to reduce its arc in that direction and leave it blind to one direction of approach.

It's current location covers garage (at one end of the 180 degree arc), a lock box (directly in front of it) and front door (other end of arc). And it was the first sensor to trigger in a recent burglary so not really keen to change it at this point.

I guess the alternative solution is to just stick with the setup without any delays until everyone gets used to how far away they need to be to arm the system safely?

External PIR is an Optex WXI-ST, with it's range reduced to 6 meters with the adjustment for each of the two 90 degree sections.

Arming is done from a remote fob that connects to a 3rd party busline receiver, so if everyone gets used to being far enough down the driveway when they arm I guess no delays would be needed.

Although at this point if I can find a technical solution that does not require behaviour retraining (because this PIR is relatively new)

Adding an exit delay to something that you need to trigger instantly defeats the object of having the sensor.

It's going to need the entry delay to expire before the system triggers you should consider other options like resiting or masking the PIR if you have to.

It's a bit of an odd setup we wouldn't protect stuff like this in the UK

As a note country of installation is South Africa.

Thank you for all the feedback so far. I will take a look at resiting or masking the PIR.  I can also recheck if the detection range can perhaps be pulled in slightly closer

If somebody would be willing to give an opinion I can provide a drawing of this particular approach of the property

Ok. You mentioning the entry delay suddenly means made me go reread the manual.

So the exit delay only applies to Zones that have been Set to either the Delay 1 or Delay 2 type. Is that correct?

The Zone is currently set as Perimeter Instant, which means it ignores the exit delay?

At the time of the incident it was set as Delay 1, with Entry Delay 1 of 10 seconds. So resetting to that Zone type should restore exit delay operation?

Entry delay is very short as the expected method of disarming is Remote Fob, not needing to physically reach a keypad.

With the 10s delay in place it triggered an alarm 45 seconds before the door contact was opened (due to the door losing physical integrity). Timing comes from the monitoring company report

So it is doing something even with an entry delay, although I agree it is not ideal.

This sensor is a new addition to the system, it already has door contacts on all external doors, full internal PIR coverage in all rooms and external PIR covering window approaches on the other faces of the structure. The partitions containing the door contacts and internal PIR have all delays set to 0 and also contain no Delay 1 or Delay 2 zones.

Delay 1 and 2 are likely two different delay timers but yes they are the "entry/exit" zones. Instant is what it says instant alarm.

So yes you would have this external sensor on Delay if you wanted time to leave.

As I say you would normally have delay on as minimal as possible circuits, just enough to get to the keypad for example a front door.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback and professional opinion. PIR will be left as instant, and the short term pain of some false alarms while the correct distance to safely arm the system will be endured.

I have updated my system notes on dealing with a delay zone on the panel if I need to in the future if the system does change