Security Installer Community

DSL Enabled line

Brian c

I've got another one for you telecom guys.

I have 1 home phone line with BT. It has been 'enabled' for broadband, and I use a Thomson Speedtouch DSL modem, supplied by my ISP(Wanadoo).

My modem is connected, via the supplied filter, to an extension socket. My phone is connected, via the other supplied filter(and a double adapter), to the master socket.

My problem is trying to connect to a site via galaxy gold on the laptop. I know there is no problem at site as the ARC can dial in, but when I dial in, it rings, answers and I can hear the usual data tones, then it drops off and throws up the 'site modem disconnected' error message. :(

I have tried the laptop plugged in to the master socket via the double adapter and filter, with filter only and, straight to the socket. I have also tried these 3 combinations with my DSL modem plugged in and not plugged in.

Does anyone know if it is the fact that the line I am using has been 'enabled' for broadband that's causing my problem and, if so, is there a way to overcome it?

Thanks in advance

Puzzled Brian

:)

If you don't know......ask.

Does anyone know if it is the fact that the line I am using has been 'enabled' for broadband that's causing my problem and, if so, is there a way to overcome it?

30534[/snapback]

If you unplug everything on the line the modem will lose sync with DSLAM at the exchange. This will cause the line to be 'un-enabled for DSL' until the modem is plugged back in. Try dialling in with only the modem for the gg plugged in to it. If this works then it could be (quite probable) a case of cheapo filters. The XF-1E from ADSL Nation is a good quality one.

If you unplug everything on the line the modem will lose sync with DSLAM at the exchange. This will cause the line to be 'un-enabled for DSL' until the modem is plugged back in. Try dialling in with only the modem for the gg plugged in to it. If this works then it could be (quite probable) a case of cheapo filters. The XF-1E from ADSL Nation is a good quality one.

30545[/snapback]

Thanks mate, but I have tried it with the GG modem only connected to the line, with and without a filter, still no joy! :(

I have had loads of probs with adsl lines and panel modems - most of the time a good micro-filter sorts it out, but sometimes, the closer to the exchange you are can cause a higher adsl signal level which can interfere with your normal/panel modem.

Thanks mate, but I have tried it with the GG modem only connected to the line, with and without a filter, still no joy! :(

30552[/snapback]

I would hesitantly say a line fault then. Can you connect to the panel from any other lines, or can you connect to other panels from your line?

Problem with the line and the fault status is BT could say there is no fault, it might just be noise on the line affecting gg, but be within their tolerances.

I would hesitantly say a line fault then. Can you connect to the panel from any other lines, or can you connect to other panels from your line?

Problem with the line and the fault status is BT could say there is no fault, it might just be noise on the line affecting gg, but be within their tolerances.

30586[/snapback]

There's no line fault as the ARC can dial in to the same site. The problem is when I try to dial in from home, but my phone is fine and my broadband is also fine, it's just when using laptop modem.

There's no line fault as the ARC can dial in to the same site.

30603[/snapback]

Not neccesarily, the ARC will have a better line and better equipment than you. Have you tried dialling in anywhere else? Depending on if and how the line is not working at your end then the phone, normal and ADSL modem will how up different symptons or none at all.

If you can dial other sites ok then it's possible that losses etc.. from your line and the line at the site added together juist tip it over the edge.

Lurch, I meant there is no line fault at site, I'm pretty sure there's some kinda fault on my line, and no, I can't access any sites via GG on my home phone line although I can on other lines.

Smart1, OLO??!! I presume you mean one of these other phone operators that work on BT lines. If this is the case, then no. My line is purely BT

Lurch, I meant there is no line fault at site, I'm pretty sure there's some kinda fault on my line, and no, I can't access any sites via GG on my home phone line although I can on other lines.

30625[/snapback]

With you now! It does sound like a line fault your end, if you call BT they will give you the usual spiel about charging for an engineer visit if there is no fault found.

One thing I forgot, do you have one of the new type master sockets, another thing BT will ask is for you to remove the lower half and plug directly into the test socket. If there is still a fault then they will send an engineer round, if it works via the test socket then the fault is somewhere within your extension wiring.

Archived