Security Installer Community

Pyronix V2 Tel Speech Dialler

george.h

Hi,

I have a Pyronix V2 Tel Speech Dialler (the PSTN version, NOT the GSM one). The application is to install it at remote (semi-rural) storage site to compliment the existing remote access HD CCTV system I've already put in (and which works well).

The V2 Tel is going to be used entirely in it's stand-alone mode - i.e. it is not (at this stage) going to be connected to a panel or use any of it's 6 inputs. They may be brought into use later, but initially it's main function is to provide dial-in remote control to switch on/off some devices (via it's 4 remotely controlled outputs) and "speak to site" (eventually via an external amplified speaker as it has external speaker connections). Both functions it provides. I've done the initial programming and testing (on workbench prior to installation), and both work nicely dialling in via PSTN and the Remote Access Menu.

However, it has thrown up one odd behaviour about which the installation/programming manual says absolutely nothing (and neither does the slimmer user manual).

On the workbench (whether plugged into a PSTN line or not) connected to a 12V DC power supply, after about 20-45 mins the "power on LED"  (the far left indicator at the top - the other 4 indicate the output states - see attached pic), normally on steady, starts to flash at about 1Hz (0.5s off, 0.5s on). According to the dealer this is because it can't see a panel - except all the inputs are disabled as it is being used in "stand alone" mode, not connected to a panel. I've tried configuring the inputs as OPEN, and using "Auto Learn" function to that it learns the current input status as the default "non-alarm/normal" condition. No difference.

5a0c22f55d0f7_V2Tel.jpg.eff87bb92a25623f94723811c82b241f.jpg

When I eventually prised some information out of Pyronix they say it is because input voltage (i.e. power feed) is too low. Hmmmm...

It's specified to run from 10-15V DC, and I've tried it with a 12V 2A brick type SMPS (giving out 12.04V under load with the V2 Tel), a 12V 800ma linear plug in PSU (giving out 11.76V connected to the V2 Tel), and a bench top variable 3A PSU set for 12.5VDC. ALL still do it, although the linear supplies take longer.

I'd just like to know if anyone else has came across this before I contact the distributor and arrange to return it as "faulty" - which is the only other thing Pyronix suggested.

Much appreciated

George

Hi SWB/al-yeti,

That's the thing - the installation/programming manual makes no mention of the power-LED at all, on/off/flashing or anything else. The distributor says one thing, Pyronix suggest something completely different (a power issue or possibly faulty unit) but weren't being very forthcoming beyond that. Neither mentioned anything about a "stand-by mode" and there is no suggestion of it even existing in the installation/programming manual

I do find devices, especially security devices, which have unexplained behaviors/and or failure modes deeply suspicious and untrustworthy.

I just thought I'd ask the pro's for their opinions, before seeing if I can prise anything more useful out of Pyronix. I have to say that, as a first experience of Pyronix, I don't like them purely because the installation manual is pretty noddy (C&K Securit 800L - put a couple of those in a previous place I lived years ago - is somewhat clearer and that is ancient) and, as a company, not very helpful (not as bad as some, not mentioning Honeywell LOL).

Edited by george.h
addition info

LOL - I'll try not to, but I'd definitely want to read through the installation/programming manual before even thinking about buying one.

Having said that, unless/until I put a panel in at this remote storage site, which actually belongs to a very close friend - the only person I install anything for other than myself - I've no plans for any installations. Even the two venerable Securit 800Ls are still giving very good service, as the same close friend lives in the house I put them in (one for the house, one for two outbuildings). Beyond a little TLC, periodic new batteries in both the panels and the Flashguard Xtra siren/strobe units, they still work fine.

Strangest problem they've ever given, and  even then the manuals still helped, was when the siren on the house unit kept randomly going off one night. That was caused by ants!

A rose bush "climber", which my friend had allowed to grow up to the Flashguard on the house, had allowed ants to climb up to the unit. On that miserable wet night - it was raining - the wet ants got inside the unit and formed a bridge (as ants do) intermittently shorting out the 12V feed from the panel, causing the siren to sound using the internal battery (exactly as detailed in the manual). All without causing any trigger event on the panel itself.

Hi SWB,

Thanks for your feedback!

Very true about not knowing if it is intended behaviour or not, without either another unit to compare, or Pyronix actually putting it in the b****y manual! LOL

At the moment it is still on the workbench while I become familiar with it and it's "foibles" - of which this could be one. I will give it another try tonight on one of my variable bench PSUs turned up 13/14V, see if that makes a difference. The reasoning behind that is, while reading the Wickes Alarm post from someone else, I had a quick look at the install manual for those C&K Securit 800L panels, particularly the PSU output voltage. That is spec'd to give 13.7V DC, so it is still conceivable that I'm making a false assumption that 12V should be fine.

I suppose that leads on to a follow up question, which really does call on your collective pro experience. What typically is the AUX output voltage of most panels? My assumption of 12V could well be wrong, and when powered from a typical panel may well get fed with somewhat more than 12V. If that is the case, Pyronix's explanation of "low input voltage" could very well be correct - which I'll hopefully verify one or t'other tonight.

The initial requirement my friend had was, if he spotted someone dodgy on the CCTV (live or via the alert emails), connect to the site and say "Oi you! Yes you in the red hoody and naff trainers!"-  but without spending £400 on something like a Axis C3003-E network horn speaker. Plus he would prefer to dial-in rather than do it over the internet (limited bandwidth to the site and zero chance of fibre for <£15K, as even though it has lots of old PSTN line pairs coming in, they are all EO)

Edited by george.h
re-wording