Security Installer Community

Why 8 core?

Allso

I disagree!

I always use 12 core, 2 reasons!

1. Just in case i need spare cores to replace the broken/damaged spare cores. :D

2. I like tradition and therefore needed to offer a different point of view so we dont all agree. :wacko:

29782[/snapback]

I AGREE!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest miketubby

Now a friend of mine (installer) was telling me that for Nacoss approved installations it's one cable for one detector <_< ... if this be the case then the idea of having spares to 'loop additional detectors on' is a false one :whistle:

As for Mr 12-core ... well I guess that's so you can parallel the red/orange/yellow and blue/black/green to get the 12V to go a kilometer and will have enough juice to work the PIR :D

Mike

Now a friend of mine (installer) was telling me that for Nacoss approved installations it's one cable for one

31747[/snapback]

Some people :no:

We as a Nacoss company have rules pertenent to our own staff. These are not NACOSS RULES but our own preffered documented methods. As an example: whether staple guns are to be used or not. We wire everything in star format with six core. But trust me if a customer called us back for an extra detector, You guessed it.

jef

Customers!

Theres a security issue with cables surely. Theres more chance of an undesirable picking the correct cables to short out on a 4 core or 6 core cable than say an 8 core or 12 core.

6 core to a PIR for example. Although people use different colour combinations for power to a detector, an undesirable would have a good chance of figuring out correctly that RED and BLACK is power on the majority of PIRs. This leaves 4 cables left. He has a pretty good chance of shorting the correct cables together to render that PIR useless. A 1 in 3 chance I believe if shorting the 2 alarm cores to each other and then the 2 tamper cores together after that.

I know if an alarm is set, a cable shouldn't be accessible to an undesirable to interfere with without the alarm activating but I've been to callouts where staff members have spliced accessible wires in the hope of shorting out a detector for dishonest purposes.

Tony

ACE.gif

Yes but these days in the world of EOL and iD, that arguement is academic since shorting any cores together would result in a full alarm.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Theres a security issue with cables surely. Theres more chance of an undesirable picking the correct cables to short out on a 4 core or 6 core cable than say an 8 core or 12 core.

6 core to a PIR for example. Although people use different colour combinations for power to a detector, an undesirable would have a good chance of figuring out correctly that RED and BLACK is power on the majority of PIRs. This leaves 4 cables left. He has a pretty good chance of shorting the correct cables together to render that PIR useless. A 1 in 3 chance I believe if shorting the 2 alarm cores to each other and then the 2 tamper cores together after that.

I know if an alarm is set, a cable shouldn't be accessible to an undesirable to interfere with without the alarm activating but I've been to callouts where staff members have spliced accessible wires in the hope of shorting out a detector for dishonest purposes.

Tony

32739[/snapback]

If he shorted any of my cables out he would be in trouble most of mine use EOL - plus how could you tamper an alarm without setting it off it is was set??

The only way was if the alarm was OFF and then it was tampered with - which if that is a high risk you should be using EOL surely?

We use 8 core to cut off all the spare cores in the panel and at the detector

so when I needed them today I had to struggle with my soldreing iron.

Thanks to who ever fitted the job!!!

(Bad day today, if it could, then it went wrong)

Archived