Security Installer Community

PC Psu Problem

Guest Peter James

Quick point to note about ebuer... great company (and based in Sheffield...yay!!!) but they no longer have telephone support so if there is something wrong you have to use their online RMA process,

28867[/snapback]

You noticed too! I wanted to ask a couple of simple questions and it took me nearly a week to get a response. By the time they answered one of the products in question had been discontinued.

Also you will notice that you get european power supplies with almost everything you purchase...

28867[/snapback]

Until you mentioned it I never really noticed, thinking back though you're absolutely right. Luckily I've got a bottomless box of IEC leads in the back of the van!

A decent 300W PSU will run most basic systems, CPU, Mobo, HDD, Disk drive, gfx card.

A £10 PSU 300W PSU is more likely to cause instability and could damage components.

Personally I'd say get a 450W PSU minimum at a good weight, I think £40 is reasonable.

Although you say your CPU is running at 52 C degrees this is likely to be the reading off the cpu thermistor, located either to the side of the cpu or underneath the cpu, then you are relying on the fact that the bios is giving you the correct reading. It does sound like you could have a problem with your thermal paste/pad between CPU and Heatsink, too much paste is as bad as too little, can you give a little more detail about this.

To check the stability of your hardware you could use 95prime, using the torture test, or you could use SETI both these will put a constant load on the cpu and if you have monitoring tools from windows you can watch whats happening.

Then you could replace your CPU fan with a water cooler block :D

Brilliant!!! Does it cool your beers? :P

29138[/snapback]

nope, it heats the liquid in the pipes via thermal transfer from the cpu heatsink, perhaps Georg could make use of it to warm his beer up :P

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

And then the cooler thing cools the liquid back down  :whistle:

29141[/snapback]

I know,

The topic of the conversation was about cooling the cpu, that would involve heat from the cpu passing into the cooling system.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics if I remember correctly states that heat moves spontaneously from a hot body to a cool one and not the other way around. :whistle:

but that's ok, as both you and Georg can use it for cooling / heating your beer in that case :lol:

Regards

Bellman

And before Georg asks, :P

The second law is expressed mathematically in terms of the concept of entropy. When a body absorbs an amount of heat Q from a reservoir at temperature T, the body gains and the reservoir loses an amount of entropy S=Q/T. Thus, in a reversible adiabatic process (no heat change) there is no change in the total entropy. If an amount of heat Q flows from a hot to a cold body, the total entropy increases; because S=Q/T is larger for smaller values of T, the cold body gains more entropy than the hot body loses. The statement that heat never flows from a cold to a hot body can be generalized by saying that in no spontaneous process does the total entropy decrease.

It's called the Carnot cycle after French physicist Sadi Carnot. :whistle:

Regards

Bellman

Archived