Security Installer Community

Optima Compact Problem (Head Scratching!)

bruceyc

Hi all

New to the forum, but have a query about the Optima Compact I have installed today.

I have installed a few alarms - usually pain free but this one has me really confused.

I am using 3 zones.

1= door sensor on entry

2= PIR in entry room

3= back door sensor

I am using programme 1, with Z1 as entry (timed), Z2 set as inhibited and Z3 set as immediate as it's never used as an entry. Zones 4-8 disabled in programming.

All wiring checked, double checked and triple cheked.

Now - what happens is that when the PIR is triggered after the entry zone is triggered, zone 3 also triggers and it goes into full alarm.

This happened repeatedly and also on walk test - if I open the entry door, Zone 1 lights, then if I trigger the PIR Zone 2 lights and about a second later Zone 3 lights.

I checked all wiring again, defaulted the panel and started a fresh. Same thing again. So to make things clearer I put a link in zone 3 so I could be sure there was no issue with door circuit.

Same again - basically every single time the PIR which is inhibited is triggered it triggers the other zone evern though it's a closed loop.

I read somewhere that Optimas can have a problem with the programming out of zones and that putting physical links in 4-8 might be worth trying.

Incidentally - I happened to have another panel so I tried another Compact instead - it does EXACTLY the same thing. SO very unlikely to be duff panels.

Anyone come across this and know what I am missing from the programming to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bruceyc

Not sure about that and don;t knwo enough about alarms to know if that could cause this?

It was an existing bell box as this was a replacement panel job where the keypad was a bit dicky but otherwise working ok.

I have solved it by putting both doors in series as a times entry zone 1, and disabling 3-8

It seems like a bit of a compromise but I had to get it working.

So you reckong trying a new bell box might be worth it?

It's very strange - I just don;t undersatnd why every time Z2 triggered, Z3 did too - even when very clearly closed.

I even tried moving it around to otehr zones and it did the same thing,  Zone triggers immediately followed the PIR sensor triggering.

PS - the panel came from you :)

I removed the wiring to the door switch, yes.

I just put a staple in zone 3.

So basically I tried zone 8 for example.  Enabled zones 1,2 and 8 with a link in 8.

On entering the alarm went off almost immediately.  Looking on walk test, zome 2 triggering was setting off zone 8 too, even with a staple in it.

No problem with wiring - it couldn't be more simple.

I also eliminated the bulk of the wiring by using a staple. I even changed the PIR out for a new one. Exact same thing.

Here's a link to a foprum where the exact same problem is described:

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/39716-ade-optima-compact.html

Edited by bruceyc