Security Installer Community

Visonic Powermax Express Internal Sounder?

Hi all have fitted quite a few wireless powermax express and complete units lately and everything I'm happy with other than that there are no internal sounder terminals.

I understand the system is closed and hasn't really got much in terms of wired add ons but it bothers me if I'm fitting the control panel in a cupboard in the protected area upstairs or in a garage and the customer can't hear the entry/exit tone or can barely hear it. Its a tiny piezo sounder permanently mounted to a plastic grill within the panel enclosure for the express and a proper speaker for the complete..

Would it be ok to chop this piezo sounder out and perhaps run a cable to it? only problem being its an ugly thing and does not have an enclosure with a tamper... how about a normal plastic internal sounder? or would the current provided for the piezo sounder be a different draw and it sound weird because its not piezo. Or i was thinking a cross between the two and mount the mini piezo sounder inside the plastic enclosure of an internal sounder....and wire the tamper from it to zone 29 tamper. But in doing this i would have to deviate from the intended design of the panel and have a terminal block joining the cores inside the panel..

sorry for the long windedness i know i could enable squawk but would prefer their to be a sounder not connected to the panel as I've always thought if you do get a break in it gives away the panel location too. Its the only thing that bugs me with the powermax units. Maybe I'm missing something, i know there are expander units that have the allowance for a sounder? but would prefer to not have to add this cost everytime i fit one.

Edited by Rob Kirk

So what about when you need to send a faulty panel back, your voiding any warranty when you start hacking at the piezo.

There's expander modules and wireless sounders available look at them just add them to the bill.

They're cheap wireless kits so I wouldn't expect them to have all the features of wired kit built in.