Security Installer Community

Paxton Net2 - 3Rd Party Readers

ElecTech

Hi,

A client has Paxton Net2 installed and currently uses HID ICLASS R30 readers on all sites...

I'm used to using PAC and have only ever used there readers and have never used any type of 3rd party readers.

1. Would Paxton's own HID reader be compatible with the Net2 V.4 (the Paxton reader is cheaper than the 3rd party)

2. Why would a 3rd party reader be used in the first case. I believe this was a brand new install & not a takeover.

3. Would it be as simple as disconnecting an old faulty HID iCLASS reader and following the wiring diagram for the Paxton's own reader?

Old reader - https://www.hidglobal.com/sites/hidglobal.com/files/resource_files/iclass-r-series-c-readers-ds-en.pdf

New reader (hopefully) - http://www.paxton.co.uk/productsearch.asp?id=&salescode=345-220

Thanks.

personally I'd replace the iclass reader like for like,

I'd assume the Paxton HID reader would read the HID token their using, but theres always a chance of weirdness ?

reasons for 3rd party readers ?

use of the same tokens with a clocking in system or indruder alarm or they choose not to use paxton or they can buy HID cheaper

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Believe it or not the HID reader they currently use is £60 more.

What "weirdness" could occur and why? They use ID cards but I'd of thought if it's a HID card then either reader will work.

Sorry for the basic questions but I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the technology that the readers use.

• 1 month later...

So I went to site with the below reader as a test dummy...

http://www.paxton.co.uk/products.asp?strStage=specification&strFamily=net2&strProduct=345-220&strGroup=group-05117

I found the following...

I connected the reader to a Net2 Plus into reader 2 output. I connected up all 8 wires (two wires were left out from the existing reader Amber LED, Media Connect), we also tried it without these wires in.

The reader looked as expected (red and green lights on) and when swiped a pass on the other side the reader turned from green to red as it should, yet would not read any HID cards...

Attached is the door setup, I've been told the cards are wiegand 26 bit iclass cards...

Is there a quick solution or shall I go like for like?

cheers

post-70076-0-43110100-1444895931_thumb.p

Edited by ElecTech

Perhaps Paxton 'Univeral' was sold via Advanced Access as 'own brand' for much better pricing than Paxton 'ordinaire'.

I use these regularly on an 'all wired' job. Much better margin on fobs too that way. Always turn up with Paxton Universal part nos and manual inside the box.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands