Security Installer Community

Wireless Security

jkno

No disrespects intended Admin 2,,I have seen all these 'innovations' introduced including the 'anti foam' false alarming continually in high winds. EOL is not a particularly new technology, nonetheless, I would invite anyone to bypass my twelve core, or eight core for that matter, conventional wiring without sounding the alarm.

Let it sound 10mins or less is enough to grab something and run

Correct. Got it in one al-yeti. Also seen 4 antique tables removed via front door bottom panel kicked in while the alarm was sounding..less than 30 seconds.. they didn't bother trying to by-pass alarm cable either.

Edited by charlie6

Smash and grab, cutting cables, cutting coms etc... are all aspects that can be designed out of a system of a location or made extremely hard (if you're willing to spend enough time, money, knowledge) again cost vs reward. No-ones going to disable a grade 3 system, cut through 10mm plate steel and drill through reinforced concrete to get a £200 TV.

However as the cost comes down and you can download a tiny application and run it on consumer hardware that will essentially disarm certain alarm systems with a click of a button. With encryption what's unbreakable now becomes child's play as time passes. It sounds like some of the consumer aimed manufacturers do the bare minimum and can be bypassed with minimal effort/equipment, but the question is how advanced is the technology in the G2 systems and how long before they too become easy targets.

I guess your average home is never going to become a lucrative target for high tech thefts and anything worthwhile is going to be on a higher grade system and additional security procedures. 

Smash and grab, cutting cables, cutting coms etc... are all aspects that can be designed out of a system of a location or made extremely hard (if you're willing to spend enough time, money, knowledge) again cost vs reward. No-ones going to disable a grade 3 system, cut through 10mm plate steel and drill through reinforced concrete to get a £200 TV.

However as the cost comes down and you can download a tiny application and run it on consumer hardware that will essentially disarm certain alarm systems with a click of a button. With encryption what's unbreakable now becomes child's play as time passes. It sounds like some of the consumer aimed manufacturers do the bare minimum and can be bypassed with minimal effort/equipment, but the question is how advanced is the technology in the G2 systems and how long before they too become easy targets.

I guess your average home is never going to become a lucrative target for high tech thefts and anything worthwhile is going to be on a higher grade system and additional security procedures. 

Correct and as its stand right now nobody markets or installs a Grade 3 wireless system in the UK, they are available elsewhere, mainly where cost is not the first thought when it comes to security.

As for G2 being vulnerable to attack, its not just the wireless aspect of the system, its also the communication methods used between devices and the panel or expander. Likewise the expected response of the system to attack, there are already measures in place to detect jamming, supervision to detect missing devices etc....Unlikely in my opinion that any professional equipment manufactured and independently tested against the EN standards would fall foul of a simple programme or app downloaded from the web.

As for DIY systems, or those that simply claim compliance without proving it, that is another matter and as always is reflected in the cost associated with the equipment. Its about time people understood the value of professionally installed and manufactured equipment instead of trying to compare two things which bare no resemblance to each other.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

I completely agree with you. No DIY kit is going to compare but people buy either on price or because they offer bells and whistles not easily available in the professional market.

Knowing the software and security industry pretty well it would take a hell of a lot to get me to move from wired to wireless. It wasn't all that many years ago wireless WEP encryption was seen as secure, that got hacked pretty quickly due to the ongoing development of hardware and software, WPA replaced it which also got broken, WPA2 superseded WPA which has also been broken. Nothing is forever with security it's an ongoing arms race and unfortunately some of the best people at security are on the wrong side.

Some of the best systems in the world built by the best minds have been broken either by technology, a greater mind or sheer luck.  We would be naive to think a grade or a EN standard protects us when they are created by people as flawed as you or I.

I completely agree with you. No DIY kit is going to compare but people buy either on price or because they offer bells and whistles not easily available in the professional market.

Knowing the software and security industry pretty well it would take a hell of a lot to get me to move from wired to wireless. It wasn't all that many years ago wireless WEP encryption was seen as secure, that got hacked pretty quickly due to the ongoing development of hardware and software, WPA replaced it which also got broken, WPA2 superseded WPA which has also been broken. Nothing is forever with security it's an ongoing arms race and unfortunately some of the best people at security are on the wrong side.

Some of the best systems in the world built by the best minds have been broken either by technology, a greater mind or sheer luck.  We would be naive to think a grade or a EN standard protects us when they are created by people as flawed as you or I.

True that, but at least we try and protect our clients unlike some.............

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Nothing different to anyone else I imagine, except when the legal s**t hits the fan some have 3rd party proof of compliance, although in the above scenario poor system design comes into my mind if the job is important enough to have someone going all the way to court...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

True that, but at least we try and protect our clients unlike some.............

Your wireless kit looks really impressive (One of the few I would trust if wired wasn't an option). I use your wired systems in my own home and have been really impressed. Just need to sit down and write my own monitoring software for it.

I don't question the integrity of the good companies out there developing wireless systems, merely they integrity of the core component hardware available with the progression of technology. You could argue it's a similar risk plugging any form of com device into a panel.