Security Installer Community

Pir Identification

If they are working and you are not bothered that they look yellow no real reason to replace imo.

But if any signs of false alarms/issues rip them all out and replace with shines new ones.

I know many company's that would make you "Recommend" replacing PIR's after 10 years. You decide if it's the company generating extra revenue or looking after the customers needs ..

If they are working and you are not bothered that they look yellow no real reason to replace imo.

But if any signs of false alarms/issues rip them all out and replace with shines new ones.

I know many company's that would make you "Recommend" replacing PIR's after 10 years. You decide if it's the company generating extra revenue or looking after the customers needs ..

So you think relay contacts can last longer? Some do some don't, yes it's a companies job to make money, but seems to me they also giving a good service to customers by updating equipment where possible

Plenty of pirs about not activating plastics ready to crumble to

If the led is flashing, staying on, or not on at all..go for a relay fault. Anyway, in the broad scheme of things if a system is being looked after annualy by a good company, I can't see that it is in their interests to change passives just for the sake of it. Ten years is about right for a change of pir and it can only be in the customer's interests. All in all, spot on Alyeti.

Alyeti, are you seriously plotting Goncal's downfall ?

So you think relay contacts can last longer? Some do some don't, yes it's a companies job to make money, but seems to me they also giving a good service to customers by updating equipment where possible

Plenty of pirs about not activating plastics ready to crumble to

I don't know if there is a common policy Terry, but I do feel that the onus is on the maintenance company to at least advise the customer of the probabillity of a relay dying at three in the morning, customer can't say he wasn't warned of the possibilities then. I own up to the fact that my home pir's were installed in 1994 and could go at anytime, but I am not a customer who isn't aware of the probable consequences of not renewing. For my own part, home pir maintenance is basically ensuring there are no creepie crawleys, all holes sealed and lens cleaned, but we can't expect a customer to know, or even care, about these things. 

Edited by charlie6