Security Installer Community

Replacement Remote Keypad For Ts900 System

Hi hope someone can help. I manage a building with a TS900 panel and the LCD remote keypad is starting to become a bit temperamental on some of the buttons. I contacted our alarm company and they say the keypad is obsolete now and they have quoted for a new system. We're a charity and money is tight so I did a bit of research and found this keypad:

Menvier MKP 3 LCD Keypad (prox)

Our alarm company confirmed that this would work and they can fit it for us although understandably they can't offer us any further support on it warranty-wise. Then I started looking on ebay to save more money and wondered if this would work?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171813321324

This one appears to have a proximity sensor module built in. Will that work with our TS900 panel. We don't currently have that option on our LCD remote keypad so perhaps this feature needs a newer panel?

I tried opening the keypad to clean out the rubber key membrane but even with the engineers code (engineer on site displayed on the LCD panel), the tamper switch set the alarm off. Any ideas? And how easy is it to swap a keypad over? Is it just a question of matching the dip switches to set the address of the old keypad and replacing the wires? I imagine I'll just leave the job to our alarm company but I'm interested to know anyway!

Thanks in advance

The keypad will possibly work, but if I was your alarm company and you had started fiddling with the system yourself

I think that would be the end of us being your alarm company. The tamper alert was there for a reason!

I appreciate you are a charity but your supporters would be rightly annoyed if items bought from their donations had been

stolen from your office, but that could have been prevented.

The keypad is indeed, officially, obsolete and no new ones have been made for a while AFAIK.

My first question to you would be, what happens when the alarm goes off at the moment - does someone get a phone call

to say it has gone off, or does it just 'make a noise'?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for replying. I'm not quite sure what you mean in your second paragraph. I won't be leaving a faulty (or unsuitable) keypad installed, risking the security of the building if that's what you mean. I would imagine it'll either work or not. The equipment is ours and we wanted the company to replace the keypad, they couldn't source one but I can, they will fit it but not support it.

I think all I'm asking is if it's a simple job to swap a keypad over? i.e. do these keypads generally need programming to the system, or do they just need the correct address?

To answer your question, yes it's a monitored system so someone gets a phone call

The equipment is ours and we wanted the company to replace the keypad, they couldn't source one but I can, they will fit it but not support it.

Support it, as in not give a warranty as they didnt supply the keypad. Whats wrong with that, they wouldnt know the history of the keypad or have tested it.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had many issues with the buttons going on Menvier rkps, on many occasions customers have supplied one and I've said I'll fit it for you but if there are issues for this as it's got an unknown history you'll be left with it otherwise next is a panel upgrade, at the end of the day you'll only be loosing the cost of the used rkp if you went the eBay route.

You can remove the rubber buttons from the rkp and clean on the small black contact pads then use some conductive silver liquid, can't remember the brand name and it takes a couple of hours to fully cure, but it makes the rkp buttons as responsive as a new one, people don't like using it as they can't guarantee the work though and I'd suggest use only use would be restricted to my own system rather than advising a customer to use It.

Edited by BRNYS8558

I've heard all about your quick 'fixes' to get through he day...

As above, I agree the system has probably had it's day but would clena before i start silver painting, have done this with scanny keypads.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands