Security Installer Community

Sounds

Guest Peter James

I have onboard sound card I fitted another sound blaster 5.1 card

Did you disable the onboard sound card in BIOS first?

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

pm amateur randy, hes in IT and if i remeber rightly he said he would help if he was ever asked.

To be honest all the obvious, and many less obvious, solutions have been suggested already. I had a similar problem but under Windows 2000, not XP, and my little volume icon in the System Tray had gone too. :(

I never did solve it, but when I did a complete OS re-install it was fine again.

It's probably something corrupted in the registry and my advice on that subject is "don't go there unless you really know what you're doing". And if you've got a day job that isn't in IT you almost certainly won't. :ph34r:

So, live with it or prepare to reinstall; always worth doing every year or so anyway, if you know how. :whistle:

Peter, you seem to know what you're doing with PC's so you've probably done these:

Have you checked the Device Manager to make sure everything is properly installed?

And have you tried Windows Update to see if there are any new drivers?

Finally, have you checked on the web site of the manufacturer of your PC/Motherboard for any BIOS updates?

Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.............

The DLL needs to go in:

C:\Windows\System32 (For NT Based OS such as XP)

Then, you need to register it, from the run command on start menu:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\VB40032.DLL"

If you get an error message, ignore it and continue, otherwise youll get a success message and you need to reboot here.

You also need to check that Windows is configured to correctly route MIDI playback, as some music ppl have instruments attached, and play midi files thru those, however, you will just want it routing to your speakers.

To check this:

Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio -> Audio Page Tabstrip -> "MIDI Music Playback"

Try each option in the listbox you are presented with, applying changes after each selection, and opening a fresh instance of media player to open the MIDI file on each item in the list you try.

If you cant get it to work, let me know and Ill remote desktop your PC.

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

Hi Pete,

Set me up with a remote access session and I will lgoin to your computer and have a look...

Installing XP over the top will erase your settings, and program installations. The XP installation has a "repair" mode which does not do this, however, its likly that it would not fix the problem.

To set up a remote access session do this:

1) Start

2) Help & Support

3) Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance

4) Invite someone to help you

5) Use E-Mail - enter: w.ashcroft@redfoxhosting.com

6) Invite this person

7) Continue

8) Set a decent expiry time, and a password, email me the password you set seperatly

9) Send Invitiation

That will then open up outlook with a blank email message with the info I need attached.

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

Guest Peter James

Hi Scott

I havent yet solved the mystery, I am sure its software xp related . When I use one of my other hard drives the sounds work.

I am upgrading my cpu and mboard next week so will be forced into reloading windows so that should cure my problems.

Pete

Archived