Security Installer Community

Pyronix Deltabell E

Skiprat

Hello all, I am new to this site so thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question at the same time.

I have looked at a friends alarm system as it requires a new ell box. When I took the cable out of the old box it was only 4 core and the new Pyronix bell box requires an extra cable.

Can I just use existing 4 core cable and just not connect the strobe?? Will this work??

Many thanks in anticipation.

Dependant on the panel you are using (i.e. not class 2), where there are only 4 cables available and the customer has insisted on the strobe working, I have used the box in SCB mode and forgone the tamper facility, the obvious issue here is that pulling the bell off the wall won't alert the panel.

This is only a showstopper if the customer wants to use a dialler, otherwise the bell will ring as soon as the internal tamper is opened, it just won't go into tamper or appear in the log.

The other downside is that the bell on some boxes is quieter when run from the battery, best to test it if you plan to do this.

You need to link the tamper to the 0v/A/Aux-, otherwise the box will stay in tamper.

If you are at all unsure, just lose the strobe, it's a safer option.

Dependant on the panel you are using (i.e. not class 2), where there are only 4 cables available and the customer has insisted on the strobe working, I have used the box in SCB mode and forgone the tamper facility, the obvious issue here is that pulling the bell off the wall won't alert the panel.

Not sure what you mean by "Class 2", I certainly don't think linking the bell tamper out is a good idea. This is the only protection from attack the external components have.

As above link the bell and strobe terminals together at the bell, if you don't wish to use extra features like engineer H/O etc.

Better still rewire it, if it's old four core it could have been in for years and may fail in the near future. Once a core goes down your rewiring it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I did say losing the strobe is the safer option, but have had reason to lose the tamper instead, not every situation is the same.

On a system with no dialler and no internal bombs the only functionality lost is the event log, if the strobe is needed for some reason it is technically possible, this could be useful for someone.