Security Installer Community

pc building

mikeald

i wonder if anyone can help me? I am interested in starting building pc's from scratch with a dvr card in them and a huge hard drive purely for cctv recording (16 channel). I live near maplins. Has anybody done this b4? If so any help gladly appreciated

thanks

mike

Intruder & Fire Member

i wonder if anyone can help me?  I am interested in starting building pc's from scratch with a dvr card in them and a huge hard drive purely for cctv recording (16 channel).  I live near maplins.  Has anybody done this b4?  If so any help gladly appreciated

thanks

mike

24900[/snapback]

bellman's the boy for this.......he'll be glad to help...wont ya chris :yes:

i wonder if anyone can help me?  I am interested in starting building pc's from scratch with a dvr card in them and a huge hard drive purely for cctv recording (16 channel).  I live near maplins.  Has anybody done this b4?  If so any help gladly appreciated

24900[/snapback]

First step, buying components from Maplins would end up being more expensive than buying a pre-built machine from somewhere else. To be honest, if you're thinking of selling the machines to clients as DVR's then you're better off buying the pre-built units as the warranty is with the manufacturer, and not you and it isn't as profitable as it sounds building your own. If you need a couple of one-off systems for yourself then self-building them is marginally cheaper than off the shelf ones.

Dont buy from Maplins, Toooooooooooo expensive. Find a local computer trade suppliers or buy form the web direct.

You can already buy DVRs cheaper then you could build one and not PC based which i thinki is better.

Sorry Lurch just read your post, and i have said the same, must read other posts first in future.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I agree with all the comments above; building your own really isn't worth it any more. :no:

I work in IT and have built, for myself and my family, at least a dozen PC's over the last few years, including all the ones my 3 kids used at University. My own main PC "blew up" big time just over a week ago :o and I had a rethink; I'm currently working on a system that I "lashed together" quickly as a backup. Ordered a nice new one from Dell with everything I need at less than I could do it for. :!:

If you still want to do it, it's quite good fun as a pastime, but preferably not for anything for business. Maplins are useful as you can actually go into a shop and get bits quickly, but there are plenty of other suppliers on the net. :yes:

If you want any PC bits look at ebuyer.co.uk, never go to maplins or pcworld.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi Mike

1. Forget about Maplins, add EBuyer, Scan, Aria, Komplett to your browser favorites and use them to compare components. Bear in mind form my experience, Komplett are usually cheap but the parts seem to come from Oslo with a not so great courier service. Longer waiting times for rectifying wrong or faulty items.

Aria seem to send out graded or used products and are not great with email replies but you get what you pay for if your buying cheap deals.

Ebuyer say that their products are being shipped direct from their suppliers, it seems that there's a breakdown in communication there a fair bit, allot of people seem to get sent wrong items, the email support does work eventually and i'm guessing that they are quite busy but they do rectify their problems if you persevere. I have never ordered from scan so cant comment, I think they may be the most expensive or never have the combination I want.

2. If you don't know a great deal about computers then start reading.

Find chat rooms for computer engineers (hardware) like an overclockers

channel on an IRC Network.

3. Start playing.

Build a prototype, if you have about £1000 to spare aim at building 2 systems, 1 Pentium and the other AMD.

What cards do you have? most cards come with camera software, there are a few to chose from, or are you planning to create your own software?

Maybe Look at starting with a shuttle pc as they are more desirable I would imagine in offices with little or now space for a cctv system, you are limited here with bays and space.

You may find that if and when you finally turn your newly created pc on and try to install an operating system, you may find that your big hard drive is half missing, Its a good idea that you have the latest drivers from the net ready. Its also a good idea if you have broadband to have a pc already online for reference and help.

Have Fun.

thankyou all for your help, yes peter (wakefield security systems) I would be interested in a dvr card from you, I also need the camera software, which supports video motion detection. Can you help please?

thanks

mike

Intruder & Fire Member

Archived