Security Installer Community

Break Glass Detectors & False Alarms

I'm considering adding break glass detection to our intruder alarm (the rear of our garden backs onto a public footpath). I'm reasoning that break glass would enable the system to detection intrusion that bit faster & possibly even deter entry into the building. (Detection inside the rooms is by dualtechs).

My question relates to the railway beyond the path - it carries mostly freight trains (coal) but does carry passenger trains at weekends. We get a fair amount of vibration from these trains, both low frequency from the heavy, slow coal trains & higher frequency from the faster passenger services.

I know that break glass works by detecting a particular signature of frequencies when the glass flexes & breaks - but would it/could it be conned by the vibrations from the trains & hence lead to false alarms

The trains are unlikely to cause issue, the people on the path may, as below I'm not a fan of anything that can detect outside the protected area.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Squeaky brakes will cause a problem, plus the fact that double glazing is unlikely to be smashed for entry when there are much easier ways of getting in.  I would go down the route of siesmics/vibration detectors if you want perimeter detection.

I would go down the route of siesmics/vibration detectors if you want perimeter detection.

Interesting. Wouldn't the vibrations be more likely to set of the likes of vipers? When the coal trains are heavy & slow you can feel the vibrations as they pass.

Thanks for your comments......

Do your doors/windows fall open when trains go by? The force required to open a locked door/window would be much higher than any non local siesmic events. So as long as the detectors are set up correctly they will be fine