Security Installer Community

System recommendations

Guest DRW

Hi,

Newbie here, so be gentle. We're in the process of renovating a 200-year-old house, including complete rewiring. Naturally we'll need a decent security system, and we're currently deciding between a pro job and something we can do ourselves.

Can any of you guys can recommend a make of system and suitable supplier? It's a four-bedroom house in North Lincs. We were going to go with a control panel in the attic plus keypads at the front and back doors. But then I discovered this site...

So if we go with a pretty standard set-up, what's desirable for future expansion? Is it worth adding stuff like fire and smoke detectors? I've read about voice diallers that will phone my mobile if the alarm is sounded

Keypads at all entry points, internal speakers at all entry points, contacts on all doors, 1 PIR per downstairs room. Upstairs PIR on landing, possibly PIR in main bedroom (protect the wifes jewellery). Also if any bedrooms have flat roofs/conservatories below their windows PIR in them as well.

You could go for shock sensors on windows but most people dont.

Always advisable to put at least one smoke detector per floor.

Control panel location, somewhere in the centre of the house if possible keeps cable runs easier. Understairs cupboard, airing cupboard etc. Run a phone line to the panel and it gives you the option of dialler etc.

Live bell front of house, Live or Dummy at rear.

Hope this helps.

PS Use 8 core alarm cable for everything and use a panel with enough zones to wire 1 detector per zone.

Glenn

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks for your answers, guys. Very useful.

I'll try to get hold of some local professionals to give quotes. I've noticed support on here for certain brands (eg Galaxy), so would you recommend one panel in particular? I'm not too fussy about price as long as it's expandable, has nice-looking keypads and won't need servicing every few months.

If we do go down the self-fitting route (my girlfriend's dad does know what he's doing

Hi,

Under Breff's rules, this is what I'm planning:

- two keypads/entry points

- four door contacts

- four downstairs PIRs

- two upstairs PIRs

- don't know about shock sensors

- three smoke detectors (one on each floor)

- control panel will have to be in the attic (where we currently have no floor...)

- live bell at rear of house (it's Listed)

- phone dialler.

I also want to leave expansion for ground floor extension and conservatory. We'll be building garaging away from the house, but I think we'll go with a separate system.

Hi,

Under Breff's rules, this is what I'm planning:

- two keypads/entry points

- four door contacts

- four downstairs PIRs

- two upstairs PIRs

- don't know about shock sensors

- three smoke detectors (one on each floor)

- control panel will have to be in the attic (where we currently have no floor...)

- live bell at rear of house (it's Listed)

- phone dialler.

I also want to leave expansion for ground floor extension and conservatory. We'll be building garaging away from the house, but I think we'll go with a separate system.

23994[/snapback]

Rather than install a new seperate system at a later date, why don't you run a cable now and then if you've used a panel (for example Texecom Premier 48, Galaxy 18 upwards) which has more than one area/group/ward then you can program the system as though the garage were a totally seperate alarm but without the cost, extra work etc

Keypads at all entry points, internal speakers at all entry points, contacts on all doors, 1 PIR per downstairs room. Upstairs PIR on landing, possibly PIR in main bedroom (protect the wifes jewellery). Also if any bedrooms have flat roofs/conservatories below their windows PIR in them as well.

You could go for shock sensors on windows but most people dont.

Always advisable to put at least one smoke detector per floor.

Control panel location, somewhere in the centre of the house if possible keeps cable runs easier. Understairs cupboard, airing cupboard etc. Run a phone line to the panel and it gives you the option of dialler etc.

Live bell front of house, Live or Dummy at rear.

Hope this helps.

PS Use 8 core alarm cable for everything and use a panel with enough zones to wire 1 detector per zone.

Glenn

23904[/snapback]

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived