Security Installer Community

Buying Cree Torches From Usa, Do You Pay Any Customs Duty ?

EggyBum69

anyone know if you get hit with import tax when buying stuff like cree led torches from usa

i have paid import taxes on a pda from usa was about $40 more,

the duty letter came a few weeks later

not sure if $10 torch would be duty free :shy:

any ideas guys

i  used to think that until some things i bought for bikes

that were about £10 to £14 came through without tax or import duties

i found out the score on it now tho

goods to the value of £18 are vat free, and

customs duty is not due on items under £135 squid :shifty:

http://www.ukimports.org/uk_customs_basic_import_advice.html

i used to think that until some things i bought for bikes

that were about £10 to £14 came through without tax or import duties

i found out the score on it now tho

goods to the value of £18 are vat free, and

customs duty is not due on items under £135 squid :shifty:

http://www.ukimports.org/uk_customs_basic_import_advice.html

+1 I checked on this as sometime's i buy boat engine bits from America off Ebay

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

"

Although each EC member Country applies the same rules to the Importing and Exporting of goods, the rate of tax that each country applies, varies (the UK's Standard tax (VAT) rate is currently 20.0%).
The method by which your goods arrive into the UK, also affects when import duty and VAT is applied. If your goods arrive via Airfreight, Seafreight or Roadfreight, then the 'Low Value' limit is GB£ 18.00.   This should not be confused with the 'Low Value' DUTY limit for Postal, Parcel and Courier shipments. On the 8th December 2009, the EU changed the 'Low Value' limit on these, from GB£ 105.00 up to GB£ 135.00, (this came in effect, as of the 1st January 2010). This means that any goods valued under GB£ 135.00 is classed as 'Low Value goods', and will not have any duty levied on them.   Please note. This is for import duty only. VAT will still apply on goods valued over GB£ 18.00.   This 'Low Value' rate is also different for 'Gifts' received from outside the EU, where the limit is now set at GB£ 40.00 (from GB£ 36.00).   Any goods valued over these amounts is liable to individual Customs clearance, and if applicable, Import duty and / or VAT payable. The other thing to note, is that UK Customs only collect duty that exceeds GB£ 9.00.

20%vat on £36 is £9 so say i spent £35.99 customs would not collect the duty :plane:

:lol: but i bet you its accumulative

an you get hit with the duty for both things the second time you do it  :blush:

stick below £18 to be on the safe side,

also its the item value that matters, not the postage cost .

"This 'Low Value' rate is also different for 'Gifts' received from outside the EU, where the limit is now set at GB£ 40.00 (from GB£ 36.00)."

i was wondering why the items from china arrived with gift ticked on the packages :rolleyes:

+1 I checked on this as sometime's i buy boat engine bits from America off Ebay

i wish i had a engine boat :) ive got a rubber dingy here arther :fear: the next model up has mounts for an engine

i was gutted when i found out my one had no mounts for one :(

i wish i had a engine boat :) ive got a rubber dingy here arther :fear: the next model up has mounts for an engine

i was gutted when i found out my one had no mounts for one :(

Sinking feeling ? :).

Bit of a bummer. I originally bought a 12ct speedboat with an engine, the boat had the steering setup but no engine controls, the engine had no steering linkage, and the remote conversion for it with telementry was more than i paid for both lol!

Early on we just used at as a simple outboard, i then made a bracket for the steering (purling clip attached to the handle), so now one if us steered from the front, the other worked gears and throttle from back seat as needed.

You can't do more than 5 mph on the canal we use, not even if i wanted with 5 hp :) not like your constantly adjust speed or reversing.

Sold it now for a 3 birth canal cruiser with 18hp - more stable and grunt for off shore use, we are not into towing water toys or getting up on the plane etc. just chilling.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived