Security Installer Community

Ademco 8 Broken - What Panels Are Compatible?

GriffV8

Hi Everyone,

I am an electrician and have been asked to fix a faulty Ademco 8 panel (the main box bit not the keypad). The transformer is putting out 0VDC.

I tried to source a new panel but ended up with a Galaxy12. Are these compatible? The connections dont all seem to be the same.

If not what could I use in place of the Ademco?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what an ademco 8 is but I assume some ancient double pole wired panel. G2 will be a fine replacement but as you've noticed each detector needs 2 wires not 4 . (Plus an additional 2 if powered)

You will need to fit resistors in each detector and diss the unused pair but straight forward enough and detailed in the manual.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I'm not sure what an ademco 8 is but I assume some ancient double pole wired panel. G2 will be a fine replacement but as you've noticed each detector needs 2 wires not 4 . (Plus an additional 2 if powered)

You will need to fit resistors in each detector and diss the unused pair but straight forward enough and detailed in the manual.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. "Ademco" is what is on the keypad and alarm box it is connected too, although I am sure I noticed "Accord" under the cover.

I will just need to find a manual for the wiring instructions.

I am confident with wiring the zones (resistors etc), it is just the wiring to the keypad that I could not be sure of.

Thanks again.

Accord. Remember it well. Only difference in the keypad is accord had 3 wires (power plus 1 data) and galaxy has 4 wires (power plus 2 data) it's paint by numbers. + to + - to - A to A and B to B. Simples :) don't forget to put the resistor across the A and B at the keypad end. This is 680 not 1k so look for the single resistor in the resistor pack.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

What if the keypad was wired in 3 core :)

Saw that once. 9800 upgrade to ion

Someone had actually pulled out the spare wire from a 4 core before partially burying it in plaster :banghead:

Thankfully back to back with the controls...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi,

As mentioned above the existing system has one keypad coms cable (KPAD) and the Galaxy requires two connections (DI,DO).

Do I need a new keypad which works with two connections or can I get this set up to work?

Thanks.

You are a soarks, why nit simply rewire the keypad cable making the choice of panel you oyster, and according to one you can more easily support?

If the cable run is difficult offer wireless as in Visonic or Risco Agility which means a whole new system, but they get the latest inovations into the bargain.

like cars there comes a point reoairing to save a few bob, actually costs more.

my advice is 'front up' the client or simply walk away.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived