Security Installer Community

Securit 800L Battery Issue

Paul Atherton

Had a power outage a few nights ago and my alarm bell outside starting going off (with its internal battery powering it). When I checked the panel, it was dead, so I suspected a failed battery. Cheched the battery this morning and it was pushing out just 3v, so I bought a new one, and replaced the blown battery fuse inside the box. Now when I simulate failed power, by switching off the mains breaker feeding the alarm, I am still getting the same issue - dead panel etc and alarm sounds outside etc. So it looks like the battery is not holding up the box. 

The battery I took out was a 2.1Ah 12v Yucel C20 - I bought a new 2.1Ah battery from Screwfix, and it ended up being exactly the same as the one I was replacing. Wondering if the 2.1Ah is the issue - I.e. too low, as the installer manual says max 7Ah (doesn't mention minimum though!)

Any ideas why the battery might not be holding up the panel in a power cut?

Thanks, Paul A

Thanks for the replies fellas. I had replaced the fuse as mentioned earlier, so I know its a good one in there. Since I wrote the OP above, the battery must have charged itself up a little as I just tried it again and the panel stayed lit when I dropped the mains power, so it looks like it was the battery being new and not fully charged yet which was the cause. I am wondering though whether I should have gone for a slightly higher Ah battery - the power was out for 3 hours the other night so wondering whether a 2.1Ah battery would hold up my system (6 PIRs) for that long. Any advice on whether I should exchange the battery for say the 7Ah one?

Thanks, Paul

I went ahead and exchanged the battery for a 7Ah one. All working fine now! Just hope I can convince my neighbours to have their faulty batteries replaced to prevent more sleepless nights when we have power cuts ;o)

Thanks for your advice everyone. Much appreciated, Paul A

Archived