Security Installer Community

Prox Tag Lockout

cybergibbons

I now have several panels that can use prox tags to arm/disarm. Learning the tags is fine, that all works.

However, if I present an unlearnt tag to the panels, nothing happens. No warning, no response at all. If I present all four unlearnt tags to the panel, nothing. 

What's to stop me brute forcing the prox tag? Is there any lockout at all?

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Both panels I'm not a boffin on so will take a look in the engineer book. The parameter will be user code lockout or something similar as the panels don't distinguish the prox separate from a code in general terms.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear - just wondering what the standards say and what installers would do - I presume if it doesn't lock out, that isn't good. There might be other things stopping me brute forcing it like rate limiting, not looked in much depth yet.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

I always thought with most panels a prox was essentially handled as a very long user code, i.e. loads of unknowns gets you the same alarm as trying to guess a user code.

Ion certainly locks out - for a considerably annoyingly long time - if you try and guess codes.

Am certain have had the same with prox before.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

CG I have a feeling it will alarm if you fob it a few more times?

I think it is 6 or so attempts with ion

I might be wrong but I don't ever remember anything in the rules about what parameter lockout should be.

Me neither - might have a look tonight as interesting topic.

Anyone here ever tried to figure out a competitors eng code from a 'captured' panel?

CG are there any panels on which the code can be read straight off easily? Esp old scannys

with the removable NVM chip?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived