Security Installer Community

Recommendation On System And Route

bornstubborn

While it won't be 100% weatherproof, the building has been covered in a waterproof breather membrane (covering all the openings). We'll sheet over all the doors and windows for good measure, but I want to be alerted if someone gets in that shouldn't be there! I guess the question is would it be a waste of time and money to install a "good" alarm i.e. the one I would use in the finished building, and would a cheap diy kit give me at least some protection / deterrent effect until we get the building secure and the proper system installed.

Thanks

Has the building got power-that isn't going to be inadvertently turned off?, I, in the past, have just temporarily fitted a sounder and decoy camera, well real camera, just not powered, just as a deterrent, we had one site where all the first fix cabling and then heating system removed on two occasions- no more trouble after fitting the gubbins.

Thanks for all the responses, some good advice there! 

On the cable front, I thought that would be the case (i.e. not using cat 5), will definitely go for proper alarm cable. 

The consensus seems to be to find someone I can work with so I can run the cables and let them do the rest - sounds like a good compromise. On that note, can anyone recommend installers (or maybe you are installers) in North Lanarkshire? As per the advice, happy to take maintenance and monitoring as part of the project.

The other concern / issue (forgot to mention in original email!) is that I'd like to get the property alarmed now while we're still working on it.. Doors and Windows won't arrive until late Jan, but want to get the site secured as much as we can in the meantime so we can actually get on with works inside. We live within 30M of the site. Would it be feasible to install the bones of a system, temporarily mount the sensors and leave slack so the sensors can be moved to finished plasterboard lining at a later date? Or, should I put in a cheap (yale / screwfix type kit), temp install it myself and then get a proper system at a later date? 

Thanks!

Depending which panel you use, many can accept a GSM based transmitter, that can phone or text you of alerts and also mains fail issues (common on building sites).

you would need to ensure openings are properly sealed against drafts while the alarm is armed, i'd suggest use dual-tec units to reduce this issue as they are better in 'hostile' environments.

Given possible losses of tools, copper pipe and white goods, perhaps think to use a temporary wireless system, less hassle with broken cables and easy to move about as needed. Risco Agility and Visonic offer camera detectors, ideal for areas used for stock that send stills to your phone or email address.

many ways to 'skin a cat' in this trade, a good engineer can often save you in cost against buying the wrong equipment yourself.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived