Security Installer Community

Security Of Anti-Codes

You make a good point, technistore brag on their website of military grade encryption. If the technistore decoder is military grade and it took you 5 mins to work it out, doesn't say much for military grade.

Question.

What does military grade actually mean?

One of the problems with what he's doing is it doesn't give a true reflection of products in general.

Mentioning one brand/product specifically as secure whilst suggesting others that remained unnamed gives those who don't understand a false view.

In effect, a potentially false but damaging reputation.

I don't think I have said that one brand is secure really, just my impression of it is better than others. Is it any different to an installer saying they prefer Texecom over Honeywell?

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Question.

Good question, but technistore are using it to imply their stuff is very secure.

I don't think I have said that one brand is secure really, just my impression of it is better than others. Is it any different to an installer saying they prefer Texecom over Honeywell?

Not at all.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

And therein lies the problem.

Matt has formed a view that you did and duly posted.

He has form for castigating a product in preference to another even when he may not be in possession of all the facts.

Preference of one brand over another without starting why is not the same argument.

Edited by Cubit

He has form for castigating a product in preference to another even when he may not be in possession of all the facts.

Preference of one brand over another without starting why is not the same argument.

I was referring to the list of manufacturers cg that you did where texecom was on the top end. What I found interesting is the order you put the manufacturers in based on the tests you had done is the same order thereabouts that I'd have expected most experienced engineers to write without any of your knowledge just based on gut feel from having to support the products in the wild. Edited by matthew.brough

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Question.

Absolutely nothing, it's marketing. It suggests it would be a standard that the military could use, which suggests it might pass some standards that the military have.

If any of you have Technistore in front of you and it is a version where you can change the seed, try this:

Seed 100, code 33333

Seed 101, code 22222

Seed 102, code 11111

Notice how they all produce the same unlock code? It's leaking information - changing outputs in a predictable way like this shouldn't produce a predictable output.

I think, but I am not 100% sure, than it would only take about 50 valid reset/code pairs for me to determine the seed and the far longer initialisation vector (256 bytes). So even if the key was much longer, the algorithm sucks.

Absolutely nothing, it's marketing. It suggests it would be a standard that the military could use, which suggests it might pass some standards that the military have.

Hence the rhetorical question.

How do I change that though? I've looked at a good few systems, enough that I can form an opinion of where they lie in terms of security. I've posted information on why I think the bad products are bad, some of which has been in quite a lot of depth. I can go into more depth, but as many have said, it would be beyond them.

I can argue that installers aren't in possession of all the facts - there are alarm systems that fall far short of the marketing.