Security Installer Community

Are We All Working To The Latest Standards

mcelec

Ok thanks, ill have to check all our buildings later, I think some of the buildings with 2-3 zones may not have zone diagrams

might be little harsh but I was under the impression your responsible for maintaining fire systems on a large site ?

Unless this has recently become your responsibility, the lack of zonal chart should have been noted on the documentation for the insepction of each system which is undertaken atleast twice a yr ?

Should it all go very wrong & somebody gets injured its not that uncommon for the where there a blame there a claim legal action to take part, & it might just be you thats having to prove if their competent or not?

It would be very prudent to get a co. in or get trained with the FIA?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Recently mentioned the recommendation of 10 year lifespan for smoke/heats and 5 for CO devices.

That caused a little stir with one other "engineer".

However it is the rule is it not? Even just noting it on documents covers your rear end. Of course the client does not have to pay, but I always say would you trust something so important that old??

I dont.

Even if maintained.

Things have a life span given for a reason.

I am a control room engineer. Maintaining and rectifying faults on the fire systems is just a small part of my duties. (I am no expert) but we have a fire authority and fire service on site, who are responsible for issues such as this. However if we are not complying I will be bring this to their attention to ensure they are aware of any issues.

Reading the BS further I can see that we may be covered as we have a Thorngraph VDU which displays the zones.

Reading the BS further I can see that we may be covered as we have a Thorngraph VDU which displays the zones.

dos / early windows thing with a touch screen ?

I assume its a in control rm, so how would a fire fighter know the location of the fire when entering the building ?

You posted a link to a plastic conventional panel, how it that connected to the Thorngraph system ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

There are 2 thorngraph panels one in the control room and one at the front door of the facility. A member of the control room also goes to meet the fire service with a map of the facility.

The thorngraph is windows XP. It allows you to vector to any addressable point on any of the 13 minerva panels based in the facility. http://www.tycoemea.com/pdf13/datasht/fire/ADT/PSF080A.pdf

The MXC panel is in a much smaller building, it is connected via 2 relay modules "fault and a fire" Which are then transmitted to the main panel and thorngraph. However they do not show the exact loation of the fire/fault. This has to be interrogated at the MXC panel itself.

Having a more thorough look at the panels I have found zonal drawings at all panels now :-  Some were just tucked away in the back of the fire system book :-

Having a more thorough look at the panels I have found zonal drawings at all panels now :-  Some were just tucked away in the back of the fire system book :-

I'd normally expect a zonal chart to be on the wall in a frame rather than in a book, if documents found in the back of the book ain't all the colours of the rainbow I assume them to be as fitted drawings?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Archived