Security Installer Community

Phone line monitoring

Anyone got any ideas..?

Hey Dave,

thanks for the good site.

What i am looking for is a way to monitors phone lines for any intrusion, tampering , tapping or surveilence. There are several lines in the building, and i wonder if is best to monitor the risers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Its very difficult to monitor for this or to prove it is actually happening.

Without going into the technical details of how to do it (open forum & all of that stuff), its possible to listen in on a line without physically making a connection to the equipment or cables anywhere between the Exchange & clients property regardless of the service provider.

Pete is right, but from experience, certain service providers are not too helpful (would never admit to it happening to them) and due to the Data Protection Act, would not tell you who was doing it anyway and would pass the info onto the Police if they were asked / forced to monitor your lines.

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

LOL well I tryed to have this type of pruduct introduced to British Telecom as part of an invention but it was refused as they said it would not be wanted by the public well I did try :lol: Out of intrest there are some cuircuits that you can build your self to do some of what you wanted but you will have to search the net for them.

VoIP

Voice of IP, it is new technology - but if you really wanted to secure your voice comms. Utilise your local LAN network and the public internet, I am not 100% sure but a minimum connection speed would be an ISDN line to the Internet - The second problem not sure if you can keep your original numbers but you never know?

Using the digital comms will make it easier to encrypt

Vigor routers from Draytek offer voip, which can be inside a vpn, therefore i suggest its pretty secure, especially if you use redcare on the same adsl/shdsl line.

Tip, buy your telecoms services through siemens, they guarantee 4 hr response and if your line(s) are down for more than 10 hours in a month they dont charge you!

James

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived