Security Installer Community

Well Tomorrow Is.......................

Oxo

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Another time of gifts to people you dont like and recieve more than a years woorth of socks.

Anyway, just checked the lights out, and not like our Tree CCTV molestor !!!!!!

Can you believe one LED set has failed after one year in the box ( Going to fix them) and the 15 yr old ones all work!!!!!!!!

I often wonder why solid wire isn't used to wire alarms, it's stronger, easier to feed, less voltage drop, and allows more options for physical connections such as using insertion tools (like BT telephony systems) which are much quicker to use and don't suffer from stray strand shorts.

The argument against I suppose is metal fatigue through movement, but how much movement is there in normal installations? 

I often wonder why solid wire isn't used to wire alarms, it's stronger, easier to feed, less voltage drop, and allows more options for physical connections such as using insertion tools (like BT telephony systems) which are much quicker to use and don't suffer from stray strand shorts.

The argument against I suppose is metal fatigue through movement, but how much movement is there in normal installations? 

Having worked on alarms in Europe a fair amount I can tell you stranded (UK) is better.  It's much easier to get a better join without having to resort to insertion tools (you see this as an advantage, I don't).  Stranded cable is easier to pull, not convinced about the volt drop argument either.  If don't properly there are no stray strand issues to worry about either.

Only my opinion of course!

Archived