Security Installer Community

Ip Cctv Course Etc

Ants

Hi folks

I am looking to further my cctc knowledge and learn about IP CCTV, any couses/boks/info to recomend.

Would it be worth/necessary taking a pure networking course etc. Not sure now in depth you need to go to set up/ service etc cctv systems.

cheers

Over the years we have included some basic networking within our product training. In general it has been very well received. I'd be happy to run courses for anyone interested in a group session, probably best at our office in Newbury. No charge, you'd just have to invest the time.

To give you a flavour of what is covered:

Telecommunications, migration from PSTN to broadband services

How these services are delivered to homes & businesses

Basic networking covering DHCP, Fixed addressing, network routing and access

Network terminology

How Intruder and CCTV signalling is accommodated on these networks.

Some guidelines on Standards

In essence all those phrases & acronyms you hear of but are afraid to ask what they mean.

If anyone is interested contact me through the forum. Obviously I'd spend a little time on our systems..but I think anyone who has an interest and wants to learn about basic networking would benefit.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

James/Ants

James first...We cover IP addressing schemes, net masks, firewalls and ports (+ port forwarding), why IP networks are working outbound and what are the implications of inbound traffic. Many don't realise that DHCP addressing on routers is both internal and external, and why you need a fixed netfacing address for CCTV.

The signalling side of things is in effect a bolt on. People are normally coming to us to ask "how does this stuff work?". So we go through basic networking and telecoms. Show them how all this fits together and then how different signalling methods are overlaid onto the service and achieved.

It's quite hard to put together a training package that suits all. But in essence, what we have is ideal for those in the industry who have a fairly good idea of how PSTN works, they have maybe set their home router up (default DHCP and Firewall etc) but would like to understand it all a bit better.

Once we have the basics in place, then we build on that..showing what considerations, network changes etc you need to put in place to, for instance, get a DM sprite on the network or a maybe a more sophisticated unit like an Xtralis. Or even..dare I mention it...a WebWay SPT. There you go..I said it.

Ant..and any one else...if you go to my Member details you should be able to email me direct from the forum site.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

For a thorough understanding of ip i would recommend the cisco icnd1 book, available from amazon, or to trully understand the way it all works, the icnd2 book as well. Both excellent books, that relate to the entire ip concept with pratical application to cisco products, but the theory in them relates to all ip products