Security Installer Community

How To Determine If Fire Alarm System Is Needed

bm_99

Hey peope, basically we're not that big in Fire Alarm systems, only help out the electrican we know with servicing and maintaining a couple of systems.

But there are 2 seperate flats both above shops - 1 with 4 flats, 1 with 3 flats and the developer who i know has said to quote him for a entryphone system, but when i asked him about a fire alarm system he said a few people, inlcuding the architect have said a 'proper system' with a panel is not required and only normal smoke alarms in each flats rooms and common aread are enough.

Is this true lol

Im not only saying for the sake of possibly getting the job, but also that i know the developer and dont want him being given the wrong advice. As couple of weeks ago i heard of another guy who refurbed a building was told before its ok to put mains smoke alarm only to then be told when the whole job was completed by a FSO that you need a system with a panel and zone system

So basically the question is how can i determine what level the bulding / flats are and what type of system if any they need

cheers, all

Done by fire risk assessment to assess whether its grade/category D under 5839 or your usual standard. If you don't know get a FRA done. Takes all the guess work out of it, you wont get the answer here as you'll still need to determine coverage etc.

Risk assesment will be the decider but unless its a HMO 5839 part 6 will most likely be the order of the day. Part 6 is much different from Part 1 you need to pay attention to the full grading LD2 Grade A will be totally different from LD2 Grade D.

You need fire resistance between shops and flats, if its concrete construction - sorted.

If its purpose built flats then no fire detection of any sort is needed in the communal area, just interlinks in each flat to the correct grade and category.

The communal stairwell will need some sort of smoke vent, AOV ect...

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• 1 month later...

It's FRA driven without a doubt.

The basic rules, though, are concerned with the area of the property, the number of floors, the various other hazards, and steps taken to minimise them.

IMO, an architect is NOT generally qualified to answer as to whether a fire alarm system is required or not, and nor are "a general few people".......

We've come across a large number of HMOs who have been given incorrect, dangerous, or simply plain wrong advice over the years. Both ways, I might add - some who have been told they need systems which would cover most of Wembley, others who've been told "just whack a smoke detector up"....

It's very scary, really - and the fundamental part of the problem is that many of these WERE FRA driven. This can happen because even now, too many risk assessments are subjective, rather than being done to an objective, structured method, as far as possible. You should insist on an FRA which complies with PAS79 and follows the requirements of BS9999.

It's the government's own fault, mind - since at the same time as changing the legislation, they made it "OK" for people to download a five question piece of paper, and call it a fire risk assessment. Which of course, it is not.

The other side of this issue - is that the landlord/owner of that building is the one who is legally responsible for fire safety. NOT the tenants. That changes some, when you put your name to any piece of paper stating that you've installed a fire alarm, smoke detection system, emergency lighting, fire extinguisher, or any other fire safety equipment - OR maintenance of same.

The fact that enough case law now exists to prove beyond doubt that a designer, installer, or maintainer as appropriate can be held liable too, is no longer in doubt. It is a salutory tale for anyone involved in fire safety in any way - as the owner/landlord is considered to pass on his risk in whatever it is you've taken on.

So, to answer the question - best to get a risk assessment properly done. Secondly, experience suggests (and only suggests) there is a great possibility you WILL need a Part 6, Grade A system if this building is overall combined - i.e communal entrance ways, and so on. Again, only a proper FRA can really drive the decision.

Grade A is actually very close to part one, with only technical differences - but the other poster is correct in that below a Grade B the differences are very apparent.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Archived