Security Installer Community

Zone Tamper 01-04 - Problem With Scantronic 9651

I think I found the problem. It looks as though one of the wires is damaged, but not sure where and cannot see any damage either. I joined the blue and white together at the Control unit side, then at the I measured the resisatnce at the PIR side and it was virtually zero. I then joined the blue and white together at the PIR side and then measured the resistance at the Control unit. The resistance is about 2KOhm. This should have been same of virtually zero, so I reckon some of the 6 wires are damaged and touching each other.

The damaged location will be hard to find as it looks like the alarm was installed at the same time as building the house, in some really hard to find locations.

Thanks for your help.

Martin.

Better if you can find the damage, if you can't then use FSL and you will only need 4 of the 6 wires.

ov to zones 1-4 short...?

And damn that panel is messy! :whistle:

Good point.....

Why does the photo seem to have a different set make of terminals in each section....? Nothing matches...(Scantronic aren't that skint?)

Keypad connections seem to match Zones 5-8......

Is it re-furbed? :hmm: :hmm:

ov to zones 1-4 short...?

Not sure what 'ov to zones 1-4 short...?' means?

With none of the wires connected at either end of the zone causing problems, I found that there was resistance between blue and white and red and white. So I assume the blue and red are touching each other inside the white sheath.

I cannot get another wire to run through the house without taking the house apart, so will have another go using FSL rather than CCL. That way I can discard the white and blue cables that I used for the tamper loop, and still use the remaining 4 wires in the existing cable.

cheers,

Martin.

Might be worth getting a pro in now?

I had a quote for £792 (£660 + VAT.

This included installation of all the following on existing cabling:

1 x Scantronic 9651

1 x Keypad 9943

4 x Bosch Blue Line ISM-BLD1-P Pet Friendly TriTech Detector(ISM-BLD1-P-F4)

1 x Panic Alarm

1 x Magnetic contact on door.

1 x External Warning Device

1 x New Battery

I bought all of this for just over £200.

This means a saving of approximately £600.

This took me about 4 days because of this problem. If this problem didn't exist it would have taken 2 days. I managed it all, but didn't bother with the magnetic door switch.

I certainly couldn't earn £600 cash after tax in 2 days, and would struggle to do it in 4 days, so a good decision. It all works now, although the problem zone is not connected to the tamper circuit.

The cost is the main reason why I didn't call a pro out. I know that one issue is that it is not certified, so will not help reduce my insurance. I haven't insured the house, so not too worried about that.

I did a degree in Electronic Engineering, so fancied the challenge and thoroughly enjoyed the project.

I also like the fact that I understand how it works now, so if anything fails I have not got to get an engineer out.

I did tidy up the cabling a little since the photo. This was in a mess because of the testing that I had done.

Thanks for all your help.

No problem, so is it sorted now?

I'd say it was a *little* pricey if using existing cabling. We'd have probably quoted that for a fresh install (NSI gold co)

The £600 isn't clear profit btw. Over heads (vans/office/staff), NSI cert, 24hr call out add to that. Dont just think its all that in his back pocket ;):)

No problem, so is it sorted now?

I'd say it was a *little* pricey if using existing cabling. We'd have probably quoted that for a fresh install (NSI gold co)

The £600 isn't clear profit btw. Over heads (vans/office/staff), NSI cert, 24hr call out add to that. Dont just think its all that in his back pocket ;):)

All sorted now.

To me the £600 is pure profit as I have no overheads. I also don't pay tax on it, which is so valuable. That is like £1000 to me before tax.

I totally understand the overheads etc, and the certification etc, I don't think there was any 24 hour call out.

Archived