Security Installer Community

Least Noise-Prone Panels?

Hello. This is my first post on the forum. I run a small electronics engineering business and I occasionally repair to component level the boards from alarm panels. I get lots of faulty boards brought to me that simply need an NVRAM reboot; the A1 Omnicron, ADE Optima (pre Honeywell era) and Texecom Veritas panels being particularly regular visitors with keypad lock-ups or crazy symptoms.

My parents are on their 3rd alarm panel to date; the latest is a Pyronix Sterling 10 with RKP. This has locked up twice in the 18 months since I installed it; their large house is in the stix on overhead cables which I guess doesn't help. I have a Pyronix PCX10 which is very stable indeed at work despite us being on our own 11kV pole transformer and half way down a thunderstruck hillside. I also live in the hills and in 16 years my Pyronix Paragon has never once locked up or ever gone off on it's own or ever misbehaved in any shape or form...shame they're not still available. I fitted another two of these for close friends at the same time and they've not had any problems with them either.

In a nutshell, my parent's outbuilding alarm panel bit the dust this week, (Optima) after a single overhead crack of thunder that locked up the house Sterling, blew up a PLC running the outside halogens (it actually smoked) and set my mother's stairlift going up and down on its own. So I'm after a new, robust alarm that wont start ringing after every little thunderclap or lock up when next door's daughter's moped backfires or the cat sneezes. My parents are away every weekend and, being in outbuildings (all with dual techs and linked out tampers), something with a double knock facility would be useful.

I don't expect anything to survive 20kV up the mains transformer during an electrical storm; but I was wondering what might be the best 'noise-immune' panels with RKPs.

I once fitted an Abacus for my (ex) boss and it was one of the best panels I've ever seen, though the Pyronix PCX here is pretty solid too.

Sorry for the rambling post and I look forward to enlightened replies!

Kevin

Castle do good panels. (now joined with pyronix) I would recommend a Euro mini fitted with a mains filter/surpresserand a act1313. The sterling 10 is basically a paragon. The problem with them is part of the processing is done by the RKP.

id go with euro mini for a basic panel.

99% of installers on here wont touch the sterling, sad excuse for a panel, ive have a few lock up on me.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Ok! Looks like the same board I'd say but with 'castle' styled RKP.

The Castle euro-mini is very reasonably priced; I think I'll give it a go for the Parents' barn.

I'd spoken to our local elec.distributor about RKP panels and he'd recommended the veritas; however I've seen a few on the bench with duff keypads or locked-up NVRAMs so wasn't so keen; they also feel rather plasticky.

Thanks MMA for the heads-up on the euro-mini.

Archived