Security Installer Community

Texecom Excel Intermittent Faults

IT`S A BELL BOX TAMPER ....................stop winding him up wasting his time taking readings lol.

Oh you card, you. :P

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

I've just had a look at the Veritas Manuals, I can't find,

- Bell/System Tamper Alarm

- ALARM Activated

- Bell/System Tamper Restore

as a Log Fault display.

The only ones I can find that seem to relate are,

Bell/Gbl Tamper >The bell/global tamper has been activated

Bell/Gbl Restore >The bell/global tamper has been restored

Could you please give the Make/Type/Model/Software No. of your control panel, and if you have the manuals the INS numbers of each, eg INS166-2, usually inside/outside of the rear cover.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

OK, trogged up the ladder today (when the wind subsided for a while) to inspect the SAB/EWD.

No obvious signs of dirt or water ingress; its an Odyssey 3 with the 'IP65 Sealed Electronics Module' but even taking the cover off that I could see no obvious signs of problems.

The tamper switches seem to be working (audible 'click' and 0.001ohm when closed). To be on the safe side I bent the actuation levers slightly to ensure they were making contact with the cover and screw respectively. That said, still no joy.

Battery in the bell seems OK - 8.52v, other readings

So I tried removing the Tamper Return wire from the Sounder and replaced it with a link to 0v and that allows me to set the alarm properly. Strobe still kaput.

I guess that means that I need a new bell. :unsure:

I've never checked this but according to the manual it says that the backup battery is a 320mah 7.2ah battery, based on that I'd say that 8.52v is a little high.

Just get a new bell mate, it really aint worth all this faffing about

Hey Ho, Lets Go

replaced it with a link to 0v and that allows me to set the alarm properly. Strobe still kaput.

I guess that means that I need a new bell. :unsure:

sure I said that last week ...................

I've just had a look at the Veritas Manuals, I can't find,

- Bell/System Tamper Alarm

- ALARM Activated

- Bell/System Tamper Restore

as a Log Fault display.

The only ones I can find that seem to relate are,

Bell/Gbl Tamper >The bell/global tamper has been activated

Bell/Gbl Restore >The bell/global tamper has been restored

Could you please give the Make/Type/Model/Software No. of your control panel, and if you have the manuals the INS numbers of each, eg INS166-2, usually inside/outside of the rear cover.

For the record, the text is from the log downloaded via the Veritas UDL software.

- Bell/System Tamper Alarm = "Bell/Gbl Tamper" on the extended log read via the RKP

- ALARM Activated = "Alarm"

- Bell/System Tamper Restore = "Bell/Gbl Restore"

The panel is a Texecom Excel running v12.0 software; INS045-10 and my address is...only joking! :P

sure I said that last week ...................

and thanks to you and other that pointed me in the right direction over the last couple of days.

I'm just a genuinely interested person who installed an alarm, not to save money but to work out how to do it and for the first four years I thought I had done an OK job. The spurious error a year ago that was apparently fixed by a replacement battery but in truth probably had nothing to do with that and instead was whatever faulty component, iffy joint, etc., just defaulting to the working condition until the weather(?) edged it back into fault again. The fact of the same fault re-occurring almost a exactly a year later appears to be coincidence...only.

I have to say that I would have expected the bell to have lasted a tad longer than five years but there you go.

It's great that forums (on many subjects) exist and that experienced folk in a particular field give up their time to help us with less experience. Thanks. ;)

and thanks to you and other that pointed me in the right direction over the last couple of days.

I'm just a genuinely interested person who installed an alarm, not to save money but to work out how to do it and for the first four years I thought I had done an OK job. The spurious error a year ago that was apparently fixed by a replacement battery but in truth probably had nothing to do with that and instead was whatever faulty component, iffy joint, etc., just defaulting to the working condition until the weather(?) edged it back into fault again. The fact of the same fault re-occurring almost a exactly a year later appears to be coincidence...only.

I have to say that I would have expected the bell to have lasted a tad longer than five years but there you go.

It's great that forums (on many subjects) exist and that experienced folk in a particular field give up their time to help us with less experience. Thanks. ;)

often, over time, the tamper moves due to vibration until it`s on a "knife edge", the cover heats up on the 1st really sunny day of the year and away it goes, the vibration of the siren resets it just enough .......till next time.

or

the unit keeps getting wet and drying out until something gives.

Archived