Security Installer Community

Alien Pod Dvr

jjash

Hi,

Are you able to help me I have recently had Alien DVR fitted in my house. I would like to connect to my router and be able to view footage over the internet. The instructions in the manual I have found reasonabley tricky and been unable to get a connected. The installer bought the equpiptment from system Q but obviously unless your a trade member you cant get access to there site for help. The install was quite cheap, well so he told me as I ran all the cables, but he told me I would need to do the network setup as he does not do this because of problems with peoples computers.

Anyway I use Virgin media and have broadband connection through a netgear wireless router. I have a Dell laptop that I connect to the internet wirelessly with. I have connected the DVR to the hub with a patch cable and assigned an ip address, then tried to connect via my laptop after installing the software. does the laptop need to also be connected with a network patch cable? Also how do I acess the dvr via the internet? it's all got a bit complicated.

Can anyone give me a very simple step by step on how to get the system set up so I can view it on the internet.

Regards

JJ

Hi,

Are you able to help me I have recently had Alien DVR fitted in my house. I would like to connect to my router and be able to view footage over the internet. The instructions in the manual I have found reasonabley tricky and been unable to get a connected. The installer bought the equpiptment from system Q but obviously unless your a trade member you cant get access to there site for help. The install was quite cheap, well so he told me as I ran all the cables, but he told me I would need to do the network setup as he does not do this because of problems with peoples computers.

Anyway I use Virgin media and have broadband connection through a netgear wireless router. I have a Dell laptop that I connect to the internet wirelessly with. I have connected the DVR to the hub with a patch cable and assigned an ip address, then tried to connect via my laptop after installing the software. does the laptop need to also be connected with a network patch cable? Also how do I acess the dvr via the internet? it's all got a bit complicated.

Can anyone give me a very simple step by step on how to get the system set up so I can view it on the internet.

Regards

JJ

If its something you are not used to doing you may find it hard going, you would be better off posting your location and asking someone to quote you to set it up.

how much did you pay and what did you get for that?

if you pay for an install, you should get the complete install, not part of it.

Is he a chancer, sparky, diyer

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

any good?

That's what happens when typing on phone :angry:

Translated it would be demo unit, same ISP (Virgin Media), funnily enough, use Dell lappy to log in, too.

For what they cost, not too bad a unit. The built in screen is very useful.

That's what happens when typing on phone :angry:

Translated it would be demo unit, same ISP (Virgin Media), funnily enough, use Dell lappy to log in, too.

For what they cost, not too bad a unit. The built in screen is very useful.

think i might buy one for a play..

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks for all your help

I am getting close to getting this all to work now, but still can't login, I open the DVR/DVS software up on an external machine

and the login fails even though I have all password login and port set correctly. I have a netgear router WNR2000v2 with 2 port forwarding services setup on 2000 and 8080 for internet.

I then type in my external ip:8080 the software comes up I type in login password and port 2000 then can't login. The only thing I noticed was when I was checking all ports it said it could see the ports but was unable to ping them.

I think am almost there so any help to finally crack this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

JJ

Not sure it was suggested on a topic somewhere ok I will put it at port 8000

Do you just setup 2 port forwards on the netgear router tcp?

Why port 2000???

From memory i'm sure these default to port 8000

Archived