Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9651 Frozen?

poissonchat24

AN UPDATE TO THE ABOVE

(Mr Happy, in retrospect, yes you are correct although on the whole the learning experience has been a positive one.)

Having inspected the system I did as suggested above and isolated the keypads and attempted to control the system using only one good keypad. The system still failed to start at all and displayed only the software version, no key entry was possible.

I disconnected all circuits except the battery and a known good keypad, again the same issue.

On inspecting the motherboard PCB it appears that one of the components, a transistor / IC package at the top of the board location [iC5] with a small heatsink was extremely hot, to the extent that it had become discoloured. Adjacent to the IC5 package is an identical IC package [iC7] that is tied to a large heat sink plate at the top of the board.

The PCB appears to be charging the battery correctly, it powers all auxillary components correctly, i.e. PIRs, Keypads etc but is 'dead' in terms of being controllable or responsive. I've tried flashing the NVRAM to wipe it, no effect.

Interestigly one of the three keypads on the system has also 'died', although the other two appear fine, as do all PIRs etc.

Is it a surge? If so, then why is the boiler control equipment etc nearby (and equally complex) not fried? Is it a PCB failure that has also extinguished the life of a keypad on its way out? Is it just a faulty component? Who knows. I'll call their technical support (via my employers Touchpoint access) and post the results.

To be continued ad nauseam until it finally works. Its not really rocket science, and even when taking every available precaution, I didn't expect this degree of hassle for something from a good quality brand.

PS:- The datasheet for the component that is getting extremely hot is here

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/2143.pdf

It is a positive voltage regulator.

Strange one. Did you take any MA load readings on the system in day full alarm state? (my guess not ;)) Could be pulling too much load, could be a trapped wire, pressure fault causing a load on something it shouldn't. Or, it could be a simple surge, and a replacement pcb will sort it. As for taking the keypads out, you wont know till you thrash a new pcb on really.

I had a M2000 the other week that wouldn't see any devices. Main house keypads worked, cottage didnt. Found the MPSU and RKPwere causing some sort of data conflict on the network line. Process of elimination really (and lots of running back and to to the house :( to see what happens when I disconnected /reconnected things lol) Anyway speaking to the gardener (owners away) there was a lightning strike near the house when it all kicked off. Main house fine though!

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I realise this is an old post but I'm having the same problem. i.e. keypad is showing Ver 4.00 Feb 15 2007 but won't accept entries to get to installer mode.

Did this old post ever get resolved?

I installed my 9651 a few weeks ago and all worked fine. I added an extra PIR today and as I closed the panel I accidently pulled out the external bell tamper return. The external bell went off and would not stop even when the TR wire was replaced. I had to pull the mains and battery and then reconnect to get the external bell to stop.

However since then, the keypad only shows Ver 4.0 0 Feb 15 2007.

I've tried various power up methods, removed extra keypads, removed the new PIR and still the keypad only shows this.

The keypad buzzes on power up and stops after first number entered. The keypad allows me to enter 6 numbers only (which don't show on the screen) and after that it just bleeps every time I enter another number.

I'd like to try avoiding doing an NVM reset if at all possible.

One extra bit of info, the internal 660 dialler is continually dialling out since I pulled the bell TR. I've had to temporarily take off the communicator connector to stop it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They were communicating fine for the last couple of weeks. It's only when I tried to add a new PIR and I accidently pulled the bell TR out when I was closing the panel as described above that this problem has occurred. The keypad wires were not disturbed. I have two keypads and have even tried removing one to see if that resolved it.

OK, I have a new unused keypad. Tonight I'll disconnect the two fitted keypads and link up the new spare one with a short cable and see if that works. I assume my only other option is to disconnect everything and start again with bell and keypad only? Thanks

Archived