Security Installer Community

Drink Driving This Xmas

james.wilson

It was difficult to shake the images shown in Think!’s pre-Christmas anti drink/drugs driving campaign in the previous few years. Everyone remembers the little girl lying in the road, hearing her bones crack in slow motion; or the teenage boy who’s skull crashed against the windscreen, blood spattering across the screen. Visually powerful, the message was hammered home that drink-driving could not only kill, but ruin others’ lives and consciences – haunting to all involved.

The Independent today announced news that they had learned under recent government cuts, funding such advertising campaigns will not be possible this year. The costs have been slashed to around just a sixth of what they were before the ConDem coalition came to power, meaning that this year, there will be no advertising at all on television or in cinemas. This comes at a time when the government are about to launch radical action against binge-drinking by introducing minimum prices for alcohol and the power to withdraw licenses of any shops offering cheaper deals. So if you can afford the alcohol, it’s ok to drive the Jag back home…

It seems from the facts and figures that the government are intent of putting their all into reducing binge-drinking, but very little into combating drink/drug-driving in the run up to what we all know is the time of year when it is most likely to happen, whether a slip of the mind, an accident… whatever the excuse........

full article here

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/11/29/christmas-drink-driving-to-rise-this-year/

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Not quite so clear cut James (no pun intended).

There is strong evidence that people don't even recall the adverts, let alone pay attention to them. The example you/they give is actually for speeding not DD. A minor point but highlights the problem with the impact the adverts have.

Also came across it first hand last week. Out of 20, only 3 recalled any of the recent ads.

Where should the Government spend it's money?

I probably the wrong bloke to ask, but i feel the only way is buses, television and a strong presence.

But i do feel that DD is not the only cause of accidents, neither is speeding.

My point was for those that go to staff parties and then drive home etc, we have modified our offerings for xmas do's once we realised that was possibly happening. We have tried offering hotels, but this has had limited success. I like a free hotel room mind lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I probably the wrong bloke to ask, but i feel the only way is buses, television and a strong presence.

But i do feel that DD is not the only cause of accidents, neither is speeding.

My point was for those that go to staff parties and then drive home etc, we have modified our offerings for xmas do's once we realised that was possibly happening. We have tried offering hotels, but this has had limited success. I like a free hotel room mind lol

With or without big keyfob? :)

So we have this issue again. Not on the forum I hasten to add but overall in the country.

This is going to sound harsh now but, here we go!

99.9% of drink drivers live in rural areas, visit pubs most city dwellers would call a day out to visit.

The coppers in those areas also drink with the offenders.

Now the golf clubs, with many local buisnes owners, police and the list goes on.

All visiting their "local" for only one or two.

The majority of these offenders obviously think it is correct, yet are the first to wave their arms about.

long walk to your boozer is it? :cold2:

Just an observation m8ty.

Lived in rural place for a while saw the pee taking of people who turned out to be local teachers or shop owners.

One in particular owned a outside cafe/bar his forte was a great bbq................and you had to get pissed. Luck has it my partner there did not drink.

Almost all the rest of the village did, and drove in some cases 500 yards.

So morals and little places ( compared to London) are really invalid.

Archived