Security Installer Community

Grade 2 Or Grade 3

Duppers

TBH 90% of our G2 installs are almost G3 anyway if signalling is fitted.

We use standard kit (all of it G3) and connect mask on 95% of installs even at G2.

agreed - & as you say if monitored. though do ease up on the contacts, mainly g2

bells only domestics, well, dont know of any pet G3 & like all to look same eg rx40qz/pi, & tbo that market really is tight.

domestics, if they got a cat & we agree to keep it in kitchen so fit shocks...

they get PI hall, landing anyway (and anywhere else think the begger might get out to/hide in on setting)

prefer to confine pets, but dont like to rely 100% on shocks

I'm coming into this discussion a little late, but from a monitored signalling aspect there are several considerations that go hand in hand with the physical installation no matter what System Grade is specified.

Grade 2 signalling is no better than a digital communicator. The reporting time (i.e. the duration from a network trouble such as a line cut occuring to the moment it is presented to an operator at the ARC) can be upto 25 hours. Remember a single path communications failure is an un-confirmed event and is strictly speaking a non-policed event.

Step up to Grade 3 signalling and the reporting time improves, but it can still be upto 5 hours from the point of network failure before the ARC is notified.

Grade 4 and the reporting time is 3 minutes from point of failure, but on signle path systems this is still an unconfirmed event.

With dual path systems, the reporting times above remain the same for the first communication path with an added reporting time for the back-up circuit. Add the two together to get your dual path failure notification time to the ARC; Grade 2: 25hrs & 25hrs, Grade 3: 5hrs and 24hrs, Grade 4: 3 minutes and 5hrs.

Now you can see why insurers would like Grade 4 signalling on the majority of systems whatever the Grade of physical installation. Indeed, Grade 4 on it's own is still not that good! If you can disable the primary path and knock out the alarm system including the comms device before it can be activated (an unconfirmed event) your burglar has 5 hours to rob the building. So, there is now a desire to ensure a dual path failure is delivered within 6 minutes (and two activations mean Police repsonse).

Cost is an issue. However, grading actually creates the opportunity to install better systems and, (maybe) make a little more profit. If a client were given the choice of a Grade 2 system that will notify the ARC "sometime" upto 24 hours after a communication failure occurs or a Grade 4 (given the proposed 6 minutes dual path failure notification) within 6 minutes, which would they choose and would they be prepared to pay more for it? I would suggest Grade 4 when taking into account risk, or at least Grade 3 reporting if the actual reporting time is less than 5 hours but maybe within 15 minutes?

Whilst the grading of the system needs careful thought, research the differences in signalling that arms you with the ability to provide the client with an informed choice that is not based on cost alone. Can I just caveat the above. Despite my signalling background there is no advantage to me should you wish to install a Grade 4 over a Grade 2 or 3.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Archived